What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

navigating with iPad 2

readyfreddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my wife and i are planning a trip in the USA, and we are planning to use our iPad to navigate. The ipad has no sim card, nor internet outside of wifi. how does it get it's signal. help! Freddie

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By signal, do you mean a GPS signal? If it's a wifi only iPad, then it does not have a GPS chip on board. If its a cellular/wifi model, then the GPS chip will work, even if your don't have a SIM on board. you then just need a navigation app with the maps already installed. Since these apps are regional, I'm not sure what is out there covering the US, But I'm thinking TomTom or something like that.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
my wife and i are planning a trip in the USA, and we are planning to use our iPad to navigate. The ipad has no sim card, nor internet outside of wifi. how does it get it's signal. help! Freddie

Hi Freddie - not sure where you are from (i.e. country of origin)? BUT, you might want to provide some further information; the USA is huge, so where are you planning on visiting - advice has already been given regarding your iPad, i.e. will not behave like a regular GPS device - now, do you need a 'real' GPS system like a Garmin or is there an easier solution? Please provide some additional help regarding your traveling plans - :)

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, if u have the wifi only you can get a Bluetooth GPS but will still need a mapping app that will have maps downloaded or installed

patenlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and apologies for the dumb question. I am looking for advice on what is the best navigation application to use on an IPad 2 for use while driving and walking around in Italy and Ireland? Have an IPad 2 with an ATT Sim card. Will be using a pre-paid SIM card when and while in Europe. Must be "user-friendly." Thanks in advance.

Most reactions

Latest posts