What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Native sms on iPad 3???

Yakor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

I can't understand the mystery around the subj but it seems that no one is developing tweaks in this direction anymore.
3 years ago there was Twirly SMS but their website and forums are dead, and Cydia apps outdated (they don't recognize iPad 3).
What's happened? Nobody's interested in this anymore or I missed some trivial self-made solution?

This is about native (operator) SMS support only. surrogate solutions like BiteSMS are not relevant.

Thanks

Yakor

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yakor said:
Hi guys

I can't understand the mystery around the subj but it seems that no one is developing tweaks in this direction anymore.
3 years ago there was Twirly SMS but their website and forums are dead, and Cydia apps outdated (they don't recognize iPad 3).
What's happened? Nobody's interested in this anymore or I missed some trivial self-made solution?

This is about native (operator) SMS support only. surrogate solutions like BiteSMS are not relevant.

Thanks

Yakor

You're going to be disappointed. You are not going to find a native app that will run SMS messaging on the iPad. The so called surrogate solutions that you are not interested in are the only way,unless you can find a tweak for a jailbroken iPad.

There are texting apps available in the app store.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Thanks

Yakor

Not sure where you got your information, but "Swirly SMS for 3G iPad" is updated for IOS 5.1.1 and runs on jailbroken iPad1, iPad2, and iPad3, the last time I checked.
Have you tried it? It installs fine for me from Cydia.

Their website is still up and running - SwirlySpace - Yes, their forums may not be exactly active in terms of activity, but if the apps work, what's the problem?
There's not exactly a massive market in making native SMS work on the iPad given the associated issues (most iPad SIMS don't have SMS bundles and most users just cannot be bothered to swap their Phone and iPad SIMS very often). iMessage and the myriad of other instant messaging / non-native SMS providers available make this a bit of a niche use of the device, but at least we have a working solution. It's not so much that it's a mystery, it's just not many folks really want to do it anymore! :)

OP
Y

Yakor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Not sure where you got your information, but "Swirly SMS for 3G iPad" is updated for IOS 5.1.1 and runs on jailbroken iPad1, iPad2, and iPad3, the last time I checked.
Have you tried it? It installs fine for me from Cydia.

Their website is still up and running - SwirlySpace - Yes, their forums may not be exactly active in terms of activity, but if the apps work, what's the problem?
There's not exactly a massive market in making native SMS work on the iPad given the associated issues (most iPad SIMS don't have SMS bundles and most users just cannot be bothered to swap their Phone and iPad SIMS very often). iMessage and the myriad of other instant messaging / non-native SMS providers available make this a bit of a niche use of the device, but at least we have a working solution. It's not so much that it's a mystery, it's just not many folks really want to do it anymore! :)

I'd appreciate if you shared WHERE did you see Swirly installed on iPad 3.
How can one get past this check (see attachment)??

image-129430830.jpg

OP
Y

Yakor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
You're going to be disappointed. You are not going to find a native app that will run SMS messaging on the iPad. The so called surrogate solutions that you are not interested in are the only way,unless you can find a tweak for a jailbroken iPad.

There are texting apps available in the app store.

I'd rather say you will be disappointed once you learn how many tweaks you're missing due to superstitious resistance to jailbreak.
Take only XBMC which allows you to utilize the whole power of hardware video processing past stupid Apple marketing restrictions. You love to convert downloaded movies for hours? Or watching 108op MKV on Buzzplayer with stuttering?
And that's only one field...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have it installed on my iPad3 right now, however what you are showing seems to be a limitation of the Cydia Store.

The authors have updated the package to require an iPad1 or iPad2 only prior to purchase. They have omitted the iPad3.
But, since I purchased it on my iPad1 many years ago, I am able to bypass this check. There is no such check when it comes to installing it as a purchased package.

The best I can suggest is you find a friend with a jailbroken iPad1 or iPad2 and use their device to purchase it with your details. It will then automatically transfer across to your iPad3 and you will be able to install it.

EDIT - Also, just checking, your screenshot looks like it is not a 3G iPad. It can't work on a wifi only. You do have cellular data built in, right?

Last edited:
OP
Y

Yakor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I have it installed on my iPad3 right now, however what you are showing seems to be a limitation of the Cydia Store.

The authors have updated the package to require an iPad1 or iPad2 only prior to purchase. They have omitted the iPad3.
But, since I purchased it on my iPad1 many years ago, I am able to bypass this check. There is no such check when it comes to installing it as a purchased package.

The best I can suggest is you find a friend with a jailbroken iPad1 or iPad2 and use their device to purchase it with your details. It will then automatically transfer across to your iPad3 and you will be able to install it.

EDIT - Also, just checking, your screenshot looks like it is not a 3G iPad. It can't work on a wifi only. You do have cellular data built in, right?

Would be dumb if I was asking a question about sim card activation without having a slot for one (i.e. LTE/3G model)? ;) your 3G turns into non-3G by a simple switched called "cellular data".

That's exactly how I started this thread: SwirlySpace must be dead if they didn't even update the checks for devices.
But if you say it works (not only installs) on iPad 3, I'll take your advice!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know I never noticed turning cellular data off makes the carrier text "iPad". Wow.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But if you say it works (not only installs) on iPad 3, I'll take your advice!

But to be clear, my advice would be not to go native SMS. It's not worth the time and effort. And the Swirly interface is really tired and less than optimal! You will likely be disappointed!
I advise finding an IM solution which works for you, or use your phone for SMS... ;)

OP
Y

Yakor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
But to be clear, my advice would be not to go native SMS. It's not worth the time and effort. And the Swirly interface is really tired and less than optimal! You will likely be disappointed!
I advise finding an IM solution which works for you, or use your phone for SMS... ;)

Thanks for responses! But you didn't get my problem: I almost don't use real SMSes even on iPhone, very rarely.
But there are 1 a month occasions when I need the sim card in iPad to respond to SMS (my mobile parking account is on this sim card, and couple of roaming sim cards, which require -activation ONLY by SMS)

When roaming I simply have no chance: my iPhone is locked to local provider so I can't insert that sim in iPhone....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well you are absolutely right that I didn't get your problem. That's not how I interpreted your initial posts at all, and there was a fair bit of conversation before you posted that update! :O

Not sure there is any viable solution to do what you want to do on the iPad. The simple answer is get an unlocked phone! Surely a cheap and nasty unlocked "disposable" phone would suffice for those situations? :)

But I wish you good luck in getting a result. Sorry that I don't have anything else to assist of the iPad side of things.

OP
Y

Yakor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Well you are absolutely right that I didn't get your problem. That's not how I interpreted your initial posts at all, and there was a fair bit of conversation before you posted that update! :O

Not sure there is any viable solution to do what you want to do on the iPad. The simple answer is get an unlocked phone! Surely a cheap and nasty unlocked "disposable" phone would suffice for those situations? :)

But I wish you good luck in getting a result. Sorry that I don't have anything else to assist of the iPad side of things.

Hey, you HAVE already given a solution! To use iPad 2 with my cydia account!
This shall work - i believe - and then ill use swirly

Txs!

flash6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, you HAVE already given a solution! To use iPad 2 with my cydia account!
This shall work - i believe - and then ill use swirly

Txs!

I have iPad3.
I purchased app with the friends iPad1, but now I can't activate the account on swirly sms.
It just stays in activation window. Tried it on friends ipad, activates normally, and works OK.

Anybody had similar problem, any sollutions?

Tnx

Most reactions

Latest posts