What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAS Devices with iTunes Support?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To name two, Western Digital and Iomega sell home NAS devices that claim to support iTunes, in addition to uPNP and DLNA.

Does anyone have experience as to how this works? I am hoping that it would allow my iPad to access photos and movies stored on the network drive.

My aim is to be able to access my media files on the iPad without having a computer running. So far I have been thwarted at every turn in trying to do this sort of thing and I am wondering whether this could by an option.

Kernow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To name two, Western Digital and Iomega sell home NAS devices that claim to support iTunes, in addition to uPNP and DLNA.

Does anyone have experience as to how this works? I am hoping that it would allow my iPad to access photos and movies stored on the network drive.

My aim is to be able to access my media files on the iPad without having a computer running. So far I have been thwarted at every turn in trying to do this sort of thing and I am wondering whether this could by an option.

I would really like to achieve this as well. I will have the iPad in the kitchen hooked up to an amp & speakers. Internet Radio is fine but I would like to be able to access and listen to my iTunes library stored on my NAS.

I don't want to have to have another machine turned on in the house running iTunes.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Kernow

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live that serves as a backup. I looked into this idea since I read this post. Buffalo has a free app that supposedly works, but I did not try it yet. There is also a paid app called FileBrowser that looks pretty interesting. I tried their "lite" version and it found my NAS no problem. Does not look as easy as browsing my NAS in Itunes, but looks like it would work. Haven't bought it yet.

Kernow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live that serves as a backup. I looked into this idea since I read this post. Buffalo has a free app that supposedly works, but I did not try it yet. There is also a paid app called FileBrowser that looks pretty interesting. I tried their "lite" version and it found my NAS no problem. Does not look as easy as browsing my NAS in Itunes, but looks like it would work. Haven't bought it yet.

I have the FileBrowser app and it can connect and see all the files on my NAS. It can also play any mp3 file using the iPad, but I only seem to be able to play one song at a time which is a pain, no 'playlists' or albums.

What I would really like to do is use iTunes on the ipad to connect to the NAS. But it does not appear to have the same functionality as on a PC or Mac.

Regards,

Kernow

Wsoet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Synology NAS (DS110) with itunes server build in. Works like a charm and I share my itunes music library with all my i-devices.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I eventually got this working on my Western Digital My Book World Edition. One thing that seems to cause confusion is that it takes "some time" for files to appear in iTunes after they have been copied into the iTunes directory.

Wsoet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know the WD nas but the Synology nas needs to index the files before they appear in your itunes. The reindex is a sxheduled job but can also be forces by a reindex option. Maybe the WD has a same sort option.

Good luck.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't know the WD nas but the Synology nas needs to index the files before they appear in your itunes. The reindex is a sxheduled job but can also be forces by a reindex option. Maybe the WD has a same sort option.

Good luck.

Thanks, there is some mention of "synchronising" with iTunes which is possibly much the same process. It seems to take place in it's own good time.

Kernow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Synology NAS (DS110) with itunes server build in. Works like a charm and I share my itunes music library with all my i-devices.

Hi Wsoet,

When you say 'share my itunes music library with all my i-devices' do you mean as you would on a mac or PC in itunes where you see the NAS as a remote library?

I can't make this work on the iPad. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Kernow

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you say 'share my itunes music library with all my i-devices' do you mean as you would on a mac or PC in itunes where you see the NAS as a remote library?

I was certainly talking about on a PC. On the iPad, iTunes seems to be restricted to purchasing content, not playing it, which I find puzzling. To play music the iPod app is used and it only seems to access content that resides on the iPad.

You might look at FileBrowser to play music from a NAS. I has it's own player (i.e. not iTunes) but who cares, I have never been a fan of iTunes anyway.

With FileBrowser/NAS you simply create your own folder structure and copy music files into them, as you would on a "normal":) computer.

PS. An earlier post in this thread suggests FileBrowser will only play one track at a time:(. I haven't tested this yet.

PPS. FileBrowser seems to play all files in a folder once you start a file playing:). No playlists or skip function but it is reasonably useful.

Last edited:

geez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi,

I have DLink DNS-323 (NAS) that I streams video & audio through "Buzz Player" app, I don't need to synch nor copy files on my iPad before viewing video or listening audio. Buzz Player can connect through UPnP or SMB server of DNS323... Usually I connect through SMB because I can view files as it is on the hard-drives, with UPnP, the DNS323 need to refresh/updates manually when content is added or deleted before able to stream data.

The thing I like about the DNS323, it has a BitTorrent manager, so no need a PC running for downloading torrents and for Buzz Player, no need to copy files locally onto iPad before viewing audio & video even though it has the option to copy to the idevices.

Wsoet

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi Wsoet,

I can't make this work on the iPad. Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Kernow

iPad/iPhone itunes does not let you choose your itunes library. You always need to connect to your Mac/PC (remote) itunes and sync with your ipad.
Workaround is using ipad filebrowser app or Synology DS audio app to browse your NAS and go to your Itunes library and playlists.

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi,

I have DLink DNS-323 (NAS) that I streams video & audio through "Buzz Player" app, I don't need to synch nor copy files on my iPad before viewing video or listening audio. Buzz Player can connect through UPnP or SMB server of DNS323... Usually I connect through SMB because I can view files as it is on the hard-drives, with UPnP, the DNS323 need to refresh/updates manually when content is added or deleted before able to stream data.

The thing I like about the DNS323, it has a BitTorrent manager, so no need a PC running for downloading torrents and for Buzz Player, no need to copy files locally onto iPad before viewing audio & video even though it has the option to copy to the idevices.

Can you access your DNS-323 via BuzzPlayer remotely? Or only on your WiFi network?

I just started a thread about trying to connect to my DNS-323 via FileBrowser and I'm having no luck connecting.

Wsoet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you check your port forwardings and firewall on your router? I'm able to connect to my NAS from the internet, but you need to forward your ports correctly.

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you check your port forwardings and firewall on your router? I'm able to connect to my NAS from the internet, but you need to forward your ports correctly.

I ended up figuring it out. My ISP must block port 445 which is the default for SMB. So I switched the port forwarding to 139 at the router and configured FileBrowser to use port 139 for SMB. Works like a charm now.

Most reactions

Latest posts