What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naked iPad

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I purchased my iPad I wanted to protect it from damage so I also purchased the Apple folio style cover. As time went by I liked this arrangement less and less.

The "flocked" surface was difficult, if not impossible to clean.
It added to the weight of the iPad in my hands.
Little bits of detritus tended to accumulate around and under the edges.
It looked quite ugly, the naked iPad looks much nicer.

Now I have a simple (Gecko) sleeve for when the iPad is not in use and like this arrangement much better. As an extra precaution I place it face down (in the sleeve) on the coffee table when not in use

It does mean the the iPad is less "drop proof" while in use but I almost always use it while sitting in the lounge room. I do have memories of dropping my Newton Message Pad (and the horrid sound of shattering glass) I must admit.:confused:

The next question is whether to "use protection", for the screen that is:).

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love my apple cases. True they do look shabby and worn, but they do a sterling job in preventing damage.
Shudder to think of the times they've been dropped but the case seems to keep them safe from impact damage. Plus the texture makes them much easier to hold without slipping.

Cleaning, well every week or so I grab a baby wipe and give the case and pad a once over. Works for me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love my apple cases. True they do look shabby and worn, but they do a sterling job in preventing damage.
Shudder to think of the times they've been dropped but the case seems to keep them safe from impact damage. Plus the texture makes them much easier to hold without slipping.

Cleaning, well every week or so I grab a baby wipe and give the case and pad a once over. Works for me.

I have the Apple case too; my only 'complaint' is that it's quite difficult to get the iPad out of the case - and I need to do that quite frequently because the iPad cannot be docked into the Apple keyboard with the case still fitted. However, I agree that it does seem to attract the dust and just goes to prove that old proverb that white dust sticks to black surfaces while black dust only sticks to white surfaces.

However, the Apple case is great 'on the move'. The 'flap' that covers the screen is quite 'sturdy' and does a great job of protecting the glass, while the design of the case either intentionally or unintentionally does a good job of protecting the iPad from knocks and drops. Plus, it sort of 'disguises' the iPad when not in use (the Apple logo is quite muted), so you don't feel quite so vunerable to having someone snatch your 'pride and joy'. The flap arrangement too folds into a great 'stand' that tilts the iPad forward at just the right angle for viewing on a table (or at Starbucks, where I am now).

Tim
Scotland

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use mine without a case, which I feel offers minimal potection anyway; it's just seem prefer "some" to "none." Mine's slid off the sofa 3 times without incident; the issue is the cushions re-inflate over time, so the flat cusion I leave it on puffs back up after a bit and I hear a thud a while later. Now I leave it on the ottoman or coffee table...

I sometimes think about a screen protector, but I probably won't bother at this late date. Besides, so far, so good.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Apple case too; my only 'complaint' is that it's quite difficult to get the iPad out of the case

Actually that is something that concerned me too. I was even a bit worried about breaking something while getting it in and out of the folio.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's easy to enlarge that bottom opening with a scapel or other sharp blade so it fits the stand.
It's tough stuff and doesn't rip easily.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine's slid off the sofa 3 times without incident;

I use mine surrounded by soft furnishings so even if I drop it, it should be OK.

In the case of Newton, it was placed on the arm rest and I bumped it. As luck would have it, it landed, face down on large, smooth stone that we used as doorstop at the time. The sound of shattering glass is still fresh in my mind.

The iPad, being larger, is not likely to be put anywhere but on the coffee table and there are no doorstops in our lounge room anymore:).

I do feel more secure having it in a sleeve when not in use though.

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second that about the Apple case

I have some incredible drops onto concrete and the Apple case has save the iPad every time. Highly recommended - and easy to hold onto in the first place.

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that the Apple Folio cover is near impossible to keep clean, and the edges accumulate lint and dirty stuff. But just this morning my iPad fell for the first time, my son dropped it from the kitchen table. I know for a fact that without the case the iPad would've been dented along the side or scratched, maybe even worse. I bought mines for 39 euro and I would say it's a good buy. I've only had it a week and half, but it's seems real sturdy. I just take it out once a day and clean it thoroughly. In the end I think it's all about what u really want from the product.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, like the iPad "naked." I've tried a number of cases (modulR, Oberon), but not the Apple one. I just found them all too bulky. So, I don't use one. I don't have kids and I'm usually sitting on the couch when I use mine, so I don't worry about it ... much.

I do have a Zagg leatherskin on the back and carry around outside the house in a Zaggmate case but, still, my preference is just as it came ouuta the box. Not even a screen protector...

Marilyn

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Naked is best ~ for iPad and to sleep.:D

I love to take my iPad out of it's simple case and use it. But I don't move. I don't walk around with it.

It feels so good and its like a completely different device to me! I think every time I take it out, I can't believe I have one.

**Rae**

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm too paranoid to go naked. I'm a clutz and I would drop it. I love having it out of the case to clean...but freak out at the thought of dropping it. So back in the bulky incase case. I purposely bought a bigger case knowing I would need the added protection. Lol

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We all agree nekkid is best, but ours get transported around the house a lot and with hardwood floors a case is just too important to remove.
They've been dropped by a toddler a number of times but that apple case always did it's job.

On a stand though it looks so much better in the raw.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It comes down to personal preferences I think. I see that others agree that it's much nicer without a cover although they undoubtedly provide a level of protection.

I, like some others no longer have small children around the house to worry about and don't walk around with the iPad. It certainly goes back into the protective sleeve as soon as I have finished with it and has always been in the Apple folio (or out of reach) when the grandchildren are around.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As one can see from my signature, I have an Apple iPad case. It is my favorite case for travel. As for indoor use, my Contour iSee case is super comfortable to hold for long periods of time, provides great protection, and easily docks without having to take the ipad out of the case. I tried to use the iPad w/o a case and found it to be a bit slippery and harder to hold, due to the thinness, slick aluminum back, and hard right angle edges surrounding the case.

Most reactions

Latest posts