What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina & Environs

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Brookgreen Sculpture Gardens - Part 1

Probably the most dramatic attractions of the Brookgreen Gardens is the outdoor sculpture gardens (brief description below from the link given) - hundreds of moderate to large scale works are featured, many kind of by themselves and others being the center point of elaborate gardens. Many artists over decades have made contributions (see list below - I've heard of only a handful, but some names will be familiar, such as Gutzon Borglum, who did Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota).

I'll present a small handful of some of these works (most are my own pics except for a few) - this post will include photos of some of the more isolated art pieces - the final of Susan sitting w/ Bernard Baruch (1870-1965), who was born in Camden, South Carolina into a Jewish family, but move to New York City in 1881 - check the link, if interested; there are a number of these benches w/ sitting statues on the property. Dave :)

P.S. Flower a bonus - near the restaurant where we ate lunch.

Sculpture gardens
About 1445 works of American figurative sculpture are displayed at the Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington Sculpture Garden. Many of the works are creations of sculptress Hyatt Huntington, but other artists are also featured. Walkways and garden paths link the sculptures in their distinctive garden, fountain, or landscape settings, with vistas of the scenery surrounding them.

The sculpture gardens includes works by:

d0BGGardens1.JPG
d1BGGardens3.JPG
d2BGGardens14.JPG
d3BGGardens8.JPG
d4Flower_BGGardens.JPG
d5LiveOak_NearSBldg.JPG
d6BGGardens17.JPG
d7BGG_DonQ.png
d8Susan2_Gardens.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brookgreen Sculpture Gardens - Part 1

Probably the most dramatic attractions of the Brookgreen Gardens is the outdoor sculpture gardens (brief description below from the link given) - hundreds of moderate to large scale works are featured, many kind of by themselves and others being the center point of elaborate gardens. Many artists over decades have made contributions (see list below - I've heard of only a handful, but some names will be familiar, such as Gutzon Borglum, who did Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota).

I'll present a small handful of some of these works (most are my own pics except for a few) - this post will include photos of some of the more isolated art pieces - the final of Susan sitting w/ Bernard Baruch (1870-1965), who was born in Camden, South Carolina into a Jewish family, but move to New York City in 1881 - check the link, if interested; there are a number of these benches w/ sitting statues on the property. Dave :)

P.S. Flower a bonus - near the restaurant where we ate lunch.

View attachment 67980View attachment 67981View attachment 67982View attachment 67983View attachment 67984View attachment 67985View attachment 67986View attachment 67987 View attachment 67988

Brookgreen Sculpture Gardens - Part 2

This second post will present some of the larger sculptures mostly related to the various 'theme' gardens - I've labeled some - one includes Susan resting in the Palmetto Garden (the state tree of South Carolina, and prominent on the State flag). Again, most are my own photos and are in no particular order - if you return to the schematic maps of the grounds on my initial posts on the gardens, then their relationship will be clearer. Dave :)

P.S. After a visit to the Gift Shop (where we bought the otter sculpture shown previously in another thread); we stopped again in Murrells Inlet for an early dinner @ the Wahoo Fish House mentioned before - I had the rare tuna in an oriental preparation and Susan had the local crab cakes - nice large window seat looking out onto the marsh walkway, wetlands, toward the Atlantic Ocean - pretty much a day trip for us to the Brookgreen Gardens.
View attachment 67989 View attachment 67990 View attachment 67991 View attachment 67992 View attachment 67993 View attachment 67994 View attachment 67995 View attachment 67996 View attachment 67997 View attachment 67998 View attachment 67999 View attachment 68000
They've certainly excelled at making a world class sculpture garden. I like that the sculptures are made of a variety of materials. The Dionysus statue is quite spectacular covered in gold leaf and the Pegasus statue quite clearly shows the limitations of this kind of sculpture done in stone.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Brookgreen Sculpture Gardens - Part 2

This second post will present some of the larger sculptures mostly related to the various 'theme' gardens - I've labeled some - one includes Susan resting in the Palmetto Garden (the state tree of South Carolina, and prominent on the State flag). Again, most are my own photos and are in no particular order - if you return to the schematic maps of the grounds on my initial posts on the gardens, then their relationship will be clearer. Dave :)

P.S. After a visit to the Gift Shop (where we bought the otter sculpture shown previously in another thread); we stopped again in Murrells Inlet for an early dinner @ the Wahoo Fish House mentioned before - I had the rare tuna in an oriental preparation and Susan had the local crab cakes - nice large window seat looking out onto the marsh walkway, wetlands, toward the Atlantic Ocean - pretty much a day trip for us to the Brookgreen Gardens.
BGGardens4.JPG
BGGardens5.JPG
BGGardens6.JPG
BGGardens7.JPG
BGGardens9.JPG
BGGardens10.JPG
BGGardens12.JPG
LiveOaksGardens2.JPG
P1000384.JPG
P1000387.JPG
BGGardens18.JPG
BrookgreenGardens_Scu.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They've certainly excelled at making a world class sculpture garden. I like that the sculptures are made of a variety of materials. The Dionysus statue is quite spectacular covered in gold leaf and the Pegasus statue quite clearly shows the limitations of this kind of sculpture done in stone.

Hi SciFan.. - actually, I mis-labeled the Pegasus sculpture - the double-horse art work is called Riders of the Dawn by Adolph Alexander Weinman (1870-1952) and was made from Indiana limestone ca. 1942 - excellent description quoted below from an outstanding Source that I found online - seems to list and described many, many of the art works. The Pegasus sculpture which I may have missed is shown below. Sorry about the confusion - redid the labeling so all is correct now.

Again, thanks for your interest - thought that we might have had a few 'locals' wanting to 'chime in' like Bob did in my recent Ft. Lauderdale travelogue. Dave :)

Riders of the Dawn, by Adolph Alexander Weinman (1870 - 1952) Indiana Limestone, 1940-1942. Excelling as an architectural sculptor, Weinman created\ some of his finest work for public buildings. Riders of the Dawn presents the joyous spirit of a new day and youthful vigor, embodied by two powerful stallions ridden by young men. The strong muscles of the horses and riders create intricate patters of light and shade as the sun crosses the sky.
Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 2.10.45 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Historic Rainfall in South Carolina!

BOY, seems like Susan & I just escaped torrential rainfall (said to be a 1000 year event!) in South Carolina, both on the coast, where we were visiting and in the center of the state - the capital, Columbia, was massively flooded and even I-95 for 75 miles was closed (not sure I've ever heard this happen since we've been living in this area).

Georgetown (part of this thread) was flooded - pic below of the downtown area where we just took our tour - quote also discussing the flooding there - believe the town received 20+ inches of water - have not checked the status of Brookgreen Gardens, but w/ the rain + wind, many of those gorgeous trees could have come down - don't know. For those interested, a few links - Source 1 & Source 2 - Dave :)

Rains flooded highways along the South Carolina coast between Charleston and Georgetown, the weather service said. Georgetown, a city of 9,000 people, was mostly under water, and the four major highways leading into it were closed.

"We have every ambulance in the county out responding to calls. People are being moved from their homes in boats," Georgetown County spokeswoman Jackie Broach said.
Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.10.28 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Historic Rainfall in South Carolina!

BOY, seems like Susan & I just escaped torrential rainfall (said to be a 1000 year event!) in South Carolina, both on the coast, where we were visiting and in the center of the state - the capital, Columbia, was massively flooded and even I-95 for 75 miles was closed (not sure I've ever heard this happen since we've been living in this area).

Georgetown (part of this thread) was flooded - pic below of the downtown area where we just took our tour - quote also discussing the flooding there - believe the town received 20+ inches of water - have not checked the status of Brookgreen Gardens, but w/ the rain + wind, many of those gorgeous trees could have come down - don't know. For those interested, a few links - Source 1 & Source 2 - Dave :)

View attachment 68032
You were indeed lucky to be gone when the rain and flooding happened. I wish the people of South Carolina all the best in their recovery efforts.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You were indeed lucky to be gone when the rain and flooding happened. I wish the people of South Carolina all the best in their recovery efforts.

The North Carolina southeast and other coastal areas received a LOT of rain - flooding occurred in Myrtle Beach and Brookgreen Gardens closed for at least a day. Columbia, SC, just 2 1/2 hrs from us was really hit hard - we lucked out in the Triad - light rain and wind w/ some fallen tree limbs - when Hurricane Hugo came through in 1989, we lost 6 pine trees in the front yard w/ two falling on the house - we at least got a free roof replacement, but decided to re-landscaped the entire property & add a back porch, all costing about $30K at the time - rain, wind, & certainly hurricanes are not welcomed in the Carolinas - :( Dave

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hurricanes aren't welcome anywhere, but I'm glad Hugo didn't cause more damage to your house back in 1989.
The closest I've been to experiencing a hurricane first hand was when I was visiting Tokyo in 2007. Typhoon Fitow passed over Tokyo when I was there. What I experienced was lots of rain and high winds. Fortunately it was only a category 1 storm when it made landfall.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hurricanes aren't welcome anywhere, but I'm glad Hugo didn't cause more damage to your house back in 1989.
The closest I've been to experiencing a hurricane first hand was when I was visiting Tokyo in 2007. Typhoon Fitow passed over Tokyo when I was there. What I experienced was lots of rain and high winds. Fortunately it was only a category 1 storm when it made landfall.

In the Triad, we are pretty far inland and tend to be 'protected' from coastal hurricanes, but Hugo made its landfall in Charleston and then went inland coming through Charlotte (brief Wiki description quoted below) as a weakening hurricane, and then hitting the Triad as a tropical storm w/ a lot of rain & high winds causing our tree loss - map below showing the course of Hugo inland (Charlotte & W-S marked w/ arrows - we're about 90 miles apart). Dave :)

Hurricane Hugo, 1989 in North Carolina!

The storm reached Charlotte only six hours after landfall, not having slowed down when reaching land. By this time, it was still a fairly strong tropical storm with sustained winds of 54 mph (87 km/h) and gusts of 87 mph (140 km/h). This was enough to topple trees across roads and houses, leaving many without power, closing schools for as long as two weeks, and spawning several tornadoes. The storm took many in the area by surprise. Charlotte is roughly 150 miles (240 km) inland, and many coastal residents from both Carolinas went there to wait out the storm.

By 7:00 am, it was still strong enough to cause heavy rain and tear down hundreds of trees in Conover.

Damages in that state alone estimated at $1 billion (1989 USD, $1.9 billion 2015 USD).[18]
Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 5.09.55 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the past, a hurricane once made as far inland as Toronto, Ontario.

Interestingly, on the map I posted, the yellow line w/ a plus sign stops on Lake Erie; the second 'plus sign' is about the location of Buffalo and across Lake Ontario north would be Toronto, so they must have had some storm weather during Hugo's last course. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was thinking of hurricane Hazel in 1954. Hurricane Hazel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, I was not trying to make any comment of which hurricane hit Toronto but that Hugo just coursed its way in that location - BUT, I was looking @ your link and in the pic below, the path of Hazel certainly came right near Toronto (my white arrow is approximate but probably pretty close) - I would have been an 8 y/o in 1954 living in Toledo, Ohio on the western end of Lake Erie - I'm sure we had some bad weather at the time? Thanks for the clarification - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 5.50.44 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure Toronto got some bad weather from Hugo but it would have been just a bad storm by then.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I've been reading daily articles (get our local paper & USA Today) in the newspapers about the devastation in South Carolina after these historic rains - over a billion dollars in damages and much of course uninsured - the rainfalls were unbelievable (see map attached - Source) - the link is from USA Today and provides an update along w/ some videos and pics. Glad that we 'escaped' in time - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 2.00.31 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts