What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my videos when taken from ipad to laptop are horizontal

seandmc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ive asked apple about this and they were mystified, they only asked if was using quicktime which is compatable with apple videos
i downloaded the video clips to laptop but they are upside down or horizontal not vertical and some dont fit the screen-too big

any ideads would be appreciated

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you use the iPad for shooting video, the correct orientation is home button down for portrait, or home button right for landscape. If you get it wrong, QuickTime will still play the video in the correct orientation, but other players will not. In Windows Media Player and VLC the video will appear upside down

QuickTime defaults to some crazy screen placement on the PC that I've never been able to figure out. Just go to View and select Fit to Screen, and the video will resize, until the next time you use it, when you'll have to do it over.

OP
S

seandmc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kevin i had home button down 99% of the time im sure- i am sure i used windows media to play them.

i installed quicktime later as apple told me its the one to use - if i download them again does it give me quicktime as an option to play them now ive downloaded it- i take it quicktime has no relevance in the download process-thanks for your quick reply earlier

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
seandmc said:
Kevin i had home button down 99% of the time im sure- i am sure i used windows media to play them.

No idea why the orientation will no be correct if this is the case.

i installed quicktime later as apple told me its the one to use - if i download them again does it give me quicktime as san option to play them now ive downloaded it- i take it quicktime has no relevance in the download process-thanks for your quick reply earlier

QuickTime should be the default player for .mov files on a PC. If it is not you can make it so by right clicking on a .mov file and selecting Open with... Then choose QuickTime, and check the box in the bottom left of the popup window.

The player you use on the PC has no relevance to the creation of the file or the process you use to transfer it to the PC.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
seandmc said:
what can i say apart from thanks -where do i send the cheque, take care

No problem. That's what we are here for. Don't forget to come back if there's any other issues.

Most reactions