What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Review of the Acase 2nd Gen Capacitive Stylus WITH PICS!!

guest1655

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received mine from Amazon today, and I couldn't put it down all day. I'm not sure how I even used my iPad without a stylus before.

First impressions: It is pretty light, I was expecting it to be somewhat bulkier from seeing the official pictures. However after using it for a few minutes it felt JUST RIGHT in my hand. The texture of the stylus feels very nice and I'm able to have a good grip on it. Even after writing a bunch of emails I didn't have any issues with sore fingers, like I have with regular pens.

Performance:
This is where I was most impressed. I like to read a lot of online newspapers and Blogs (New York Times, Wall Street Journal, ZeroHedge, Curbed, etc) using the stylus made the navigation extremely easy and I'm able to scroll all over the page with ease, and NO messy fingerprints!! When I wrote emails and typed on the keyboard, the accuracy was nearly 100% whereas with my fingers I miss a key stroke here and there.

Once you get used to the stylus the iPad will respond to it just as well as it does to your fingers. I even found it to be more. The tip is made of a very soft material (feels like rubbery foam) and doesn't cause any streaks or any kind of marks on the iPad's screen.

Score: 9.0/10 I'm very impressed with this Acase Stylus. It is of very high quality, and performs very well. I am deducting a point because it was slighly thinner and lighter than I expected it to be (I have big hands) but it is still extremely comfortable to use.

Link to Amazon: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Acase-2nd-Generation-Capacitive-Stylus/dp/B004HBK4T0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1WMFB7P808BWJ[/ame]

PICS:

amsjr6.jpg

2mccdwp.jpg

20kugc9.jpg

2mrtquu.jpg

Last edited:

MJ5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the review. The pictures are excellent. May I ask what kind of camera you used for those pics?

I bought a Griffin stylus at Best Buy when I got my iPad, but it is too short. I am looking forward to this one.

-Mike

OP
G

guest1655

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the review. The pictures are excellent. May I ask what kind of camera you used for those pics?

I bought a Griffin stylus at Best Buy when I got my iPad, but it is too short. I am looking forward to this one.

-Mike
Thank you Mike! I used a Canon XSi with a 24-105 lens to take the pictures. FYI: the stylus is a bit under 6 inches in length.

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, glad to hear it's good! How is it for hand-writing notes? Mine should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to see how it goes with some note-taking apps. I'm planning on taking it to school instead of pen and paper.

OP
G

guest1655

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, glad to hear it's good! How is it for hand-writing notes? Mine should be here tomorrow and I can't wait to see how it goes with some note-taking apps. I'm planning on taking it to school instead of pen and paper.

It works fine for taking notes. I think I can type faster with the hand-writing than keyboard now.

hope you get yours soon!

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It works fine for taking notes. I think I can type faster with the hand-writing than keyboard now.

hope you get yours soon!

Well I got mine today and I'm pretty sure I hate it. The first thing I noticed was that it's obnoxiously loud with the tether attached, which would be very annoying in a classroom setting. Next, I tried some handwriting with a free app (smartNote), and I found it to be absolutely terrible. It often didn't register my marks, because you have to press down so hard on it. My writing was just not even remotely legible.

I really can't stand that squishy tip... I knew it was soft, but I expected it to be a little more solid than that. In addition to having to press too hard, I found it nearly impossible to write (though that could be due to the app) because of the way I naturally have my hand on the paper. Everything about it was just extremely frustrating.

I tested back and forth between the stylus and the virtual keyboard and found that I can type much faster than I can write with this stupid thing. I think the stylus is just not my style :(

I think I will keep it though for drawing at least. The app Smart Notes lets you mix typing and writing, so I think I can just type my notes and use the stylus for drawing diagrams/arrows/circles, etc.

For writing, I think a stylus with a solid (and finer) tip would be better. Writing with this thing is like trying to write fine, detailed stuff with an old floppy-tipped marker. I just can't do it.

OP
G

guest1655

iPF Noob
Reaction score

hope you get yours soon!

Well I got mine today and I'm pretty sure I hate it. The first thing I noticed was that it's obnoxiously loud with the tether attached, which would be very annoying in a classroom setting. Next, I tried some handwriting with a free app (smartNote), and I found it to be absolutely terrible. It often didn't register my marks, because you have to press down so hard on it. My writing was just not even remotely legible.

I really can't stand that squishy tip... I knew it was soft, but I expected it to be a little more solid than that. In addition to having to press too hard, I found it nearly impossible to write (though that could be due to the app) because of the way I naturally have my hand on the paper. Everything about it was just extremely frustrating.

I tested back and forth between the stylus and the virtual keyboard and found that I can type much faster than I can write with this stupid thing. I think the stylus is just not my style :(

I think I will keep it though for drawing at least. The app Smart Notes lets you mix typing and writing, so I think I can just type my notes and use the stylus for drawing diagrams/arrows/circles, etc.

For writing, I think a stylus with a solid (and finer) tip would be better. Writing with this thing is like trying to write fine, detailed stuff with an old floppy-tipped marker. I just can't do it.

sorry to see you didnt like yours. btw you know you can just detach the tether, I didnt like mine either.

I dont do much handwriting so it didnt bother me, but I saw a lot of negative reviews about the tips from other styluses (or is it styli) wearing out rather quickly. So i assume that this is a form vs function thing where this stylus tip is made to last longer in a thicker form.

MJ5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine arrived Thursday afternoon. Since it is longer than the Griffin model, I liked it better immediately. As soon as I started using it, I changed my mind. Compared directly to the Griffin, I have to press harder and hold the stylus straight up and down to get any kind of consistent response from it.

It was only $9, so I'm not going to return it or be upset. I'll just leave it in my desk drawer as a spare.

-Mike

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine arrived Thursday afternoon. Since it is longer than the Griffin model, I liked it better immediately. As soon as I started using it, I changed my mind. Compared directly to the Griffin, I have to press harder and hold the stylus straight up and down to get any kind of consistent response from it.

It was only $9, so I'm not going to return it or be upset. I'll just leave it in my desk drawer as a spare.

-Mike

I have the same complaints as you about the tip, I absolutely cannot stand it. Is the Griffin tip more solid? I feel like that's the biggest reason why this one doesn't work well... It's just too squishy and you have to press too hard to get it to register. I want something where I can touch very lightly on the screen, just like my finger. Also how much shorter is it?

Thanks!

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well upon further review, this stylus is okay. I found that many of my complaints and initial frustration were due to the app I was using (smartNote). I got Notes Plus yesterday and now I can write just fine with this stylus. I still would prefer a more solid tip, but this new app registers my strokes much more efficiently. I still can't use it with the lanyard, because it's so obnoxiously loud, so I just clip it on the outside edge of my Apple Case and it's just fine for transporting. The case can still be opened to use the iPad with the pen attached and you barely even notice it.

Another thing that I didn't previously mention though is the feel of the pen. I found it to be slightly too thin and hard. After writing for a bit, my finger started to hurt a bit because of having to hold it slightly differently than pens I normally use, and there is no padding at all. This was solved by adding a rubber grip (stolen from an old pen). Now it feels nearly perfect and is much easier to write with.

So if you have an extra grip, I recommend slipping it on your stylus... it makes a huge difference!

27y8jmx.jpg

Last edited:

earlyadopter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine came earlier today. I have been using it for about five hours. Cool, I like it. It is similar to the Targus only a little longer and a hair fatter. First thing I did was remove the tether.

Most reactions