What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My own fault. . . moving to Apple

Scoggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really shouldn't be grumbling. Enough folks had already told me to stay away from the weird world of Apple and itspreciously incompetent devices, to stick instead with Android which at least provides clarity of operation and intent. However, I've grown weary of my appalling Samsung Tab A 10.5 inch, with its control surfaces scattered around /inside the bezel, such that if you're not incredibly careful how you're holding the damn thing, disaster awaits: whatever's on screen vanishes, whatever task is being undertaken is abandoned, it's one Samsung Oops! moment after another.

So. I've just bought an Apple-refurb 10.5inch iPad Pro for ÂŁ450. And, having disregarded the earlier advice of Android users on the grounds they were resentful of the sheer brilliance of the Apple product, am now wondering what kind of a dog's breakfast this may yet turn out to be.

Any other product in the world which has a User Guide, I can locate it and download it to my PC and then decide which pages to enlarge and print separately, either hard copy output or pdf virtual. I need to understand the Operating System of this new iPad Pro of mine so have gone here, to this link, in hope of managing the same simple, straightforward feat:

‎iPad User Guide for iOS 12.3

but have now had to come here because no matter how long I stare at that web page, nothing comes into view about how to actually acquire / actually download the darn thing in pdf form to my desktop PC (i.e., the very same PC I'm using to browse through that particular manufacturer webpage.).

If this is an example of the level of genius I'm to encounter from now on with my iPad PRO and Apple operating system, it seems I'd have been better staying with Samsung and Android. I've shut down all Firefox ad blockers in case they've messed up the page (they shouldn't have, anyway) but the outcome is still as before:

an Apple page extolling the virtues of its User Guide without a single mention of how to obtain that guide.

OP
Scoggs

Scoggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sincere thanks, scifan57 for that immediate (and much appreciated) help. I take it from your comment that downloading via the Books app is the only possible route to go here; that downloading the guide as a standard pdf to my desktop PC isn't feasible.

Quite why Apple itself couldn't have said that on that same page, escapes me. I'm hoping to familiarise myself with the arcane workings of iTunes in terms of copying / moving files folders between my PC and the iPad so am expecting to find information relating to that somewhere in the user guide. For which reason, I'd rather have the material to hand on the PC than downloaded into an app that's merely on the iPad.

But perhaps my way of looking to do simple things isn't the Apple way.

No matter. Sincere thanks again for the speedy help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you choose the web version of the manual, then tap on the icon that looks like a square with an upward arrow through it at the bottom of the screen you’ll see a list of other apps on your iPad that the manual can be downloaded to.

Last edited:

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I move files and pictures freely between my iPad and my HP Windows 8.1 desktop all of the time, and I have NEVER once used iTunes! I downloaded icloud for windows on my PC, and they are in perfect harmony, and I can open iCloud on the PC and up or download whatever I want between the two devices perfectly. It`s extremely simple. I never owned any Apple devices until last Sept. and now I accept that I am indeed part of their cult, and not sorry at all. I just went to the support manuals page posted by Sci Fan, and saved it as a download on my PC as with any file. Just L click on the title, and you should get the option to save or open the file.
iPad manual download panel..png

OP
Scoggs

Scoggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you choose the web version of the manual, then tap on the icon that looks like a square with an upward arrow through it at the bottom of the screen you’ll see a list of other apps on your iPad that the manual can be downloaded to.

Thanks again for all your help, scififan57. And apologies for the belated nature of this reply; unfortunately, a hospital stay has meant I've not been able to do anything compooterish since last I posted on here.

OP
Scoggs

Scoggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I move files and pictures freely between my iPad and my HP Windows 8.1 desktop all of the time, and I have NEVER once used iTunes! I downloaded icloud for windows on my PC, and they are in perfect harmony, and I can open iCloud on the PC and up or download whatever I want between the two devices perfectly. It`s extremely simple. I never owned any Apple devices until last Sept. and now I accept that I am indeed part of their cult, and not sorry at all. I just went to the support manuals page posted by Sci Fan, and saved it as a download on my PC as with any file. Just L click on the title, and you should get the option to save or open the file. View attachment 87089

Thanks PS for both posts; and, as with Sci Fan, apologies for the inability to respond promptly. You're correct bout the pdf and everything else (wow, I'm, in the presence of the truly knowledgable!) whilst as for your experience of the iCloud, that's really of interest.

Reason for that is because I'm no fan of any kind of cloud, and am more than happy backing up my stuff locally on external drives. Although I have the new iPad, I skipped over the introductory stuff about using iCloud, but having now read of your experience, I'll delve a bit deeper. I would in any event only want to make selective transfers from the PC to the iPad (or t'other way around) as and when; I certainly don't envisage keeping 100s of pictures or any other kinds of files on the iPad, which to me is hopefully always going to be a highly effective, efficient mobile computing resource (once I'm bright enough to have mastered it) rather than something to be depended upon for archival purposes.

Perhaps because of age, I've not the slightest interest in showing and sharing everything I have with everyone else. I know this puts me out of step with what seems to be an entire generation so insecure in its own skin that it needs the constant validation of others in oreder to get through the day, but this constant emphasis on "sharintg" that I'm finding every time I look at something in the app store or in a message from Apple itself is tedium redefined.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks PS for both posts; and, as with Sci Fan, apologies for the inability to respond promptly. You're correct bout the pdf and everything else (wow, I'm, in the presence of the truly knowledgable!) whilst as for your experience of the iCloud, that's really of interest.

Reason for that is because I'm no fan of any kind of cloud, and am more than happy backing up my stuff locally on external drives. Although I have the new iPad, I skipped over the introductory stuff about using iCloud, but having now read of your experience, I'll delve a bit deeper. I would in any event only want to make selective transfers from the PC to the iPad (or t'other way around) as and when; I certainly don't envisage keeping 100s of pictures or any other kinds of files on the iPad, which to me is hopefully always going to be a highly effective, efficient mobile computing resource (once I'm bright enough to have mastered it) rather than something to be depended upon for archival purposes.

Perhaps because of age, I've not the slightest interest in showing and sharing everything I have with everyone else. I know this puts me out of step with what seems to be an entire generation so insecure in its own skin that it needs the constant validation of others in oreder to get through the day, but this constant emphasis on "sharintg" that I'm finding every time I look at something in the app store or in a message from Apple itself is tedium redefined.
I'm glad I could help. I hope your recovery was complete.

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Nope, I don’t use my iPad socially, at least PHYSICALLY. Email/ messages, yes...Bot I keep around 175 pictures max. usually. I’m impressed with the work I can get out of my iPad. I spent all day Fri and today at DragonCon (10:00- 19:00)taking CC payments with my square reader, and it’s a workhorse! I come back with about50- 65% charge left . I also downloaded the convention app and used that a few times helping my customers check the schedule of events they wanted to attend, (and the occasional email). The WiFi is basically useless , and I have been using my iPhone X as a hotspot. My customers can see the transaction details better on the bigger screen. The iPhone battery is about even with the iPad. I love it! And, yes I can totally process those “odd” Apple credit cards!

Most reactions

Latest posts