What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My only Dislike of the Ipad2 is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can always buy a WinOS tablet. The iPad and Jobs vision for computing is not for everyone.

-t

As I noted above, I can't rant about Microsoft as well. In fact, given long acquaintance I have many more complaints about Microsoft than about Apple. In fact, more than once in the last quarter century I've considered abandoning Windows for Apple. (The last time was when I suffered through a couple of years with Vista.) But in my business it's not really an option.

Furthermore, I'm skeptical about M'soft's ability to create a truly useful tablet OS. Their track record for small devices, both phones and tablets doesn't inspire confidence. Hopefully, their next effort will be an improvement.

I wouldn't be here if I weren't delighted with the iPad. It does what I want it to do and does it better than its competitors. I wasn't looking for or expecting a laptop replacement. The, ahem, "limited" multitasking available on the iPad serves my needs very well. I can put up with a crippled browser experience considering that the experience is on such a small screen. I wish there were a way to set up separate accounts for different members of my family, but I understand that I'm dealing with what amounts to an OS that was designed for a phone, not a computer. And phones are strictly personal devices, not usually shared among several users.

I am disappointed that Apple didn't place a higher priority on updating, extending, and enhancing iTunes with the introduction of the iPad. It's a terrible kludge for what amounts to an application designed for music downloads as the only viable source of apps on a device not primarily designed as a music player. But the volume of complaints suggests that Apple will finally improve the experience in the next few months.

Overall, my take on Steve Jobs' "vision" is that tablets aren't computers. They require a different paradigm for the user experience. And I largely agree with that perspective. My (admittedly snide) remarks about "PC thinking" were meant primarily to suggest the rather obvious point made by many others. I have no major objections to the iPad's underlying philosophy applied to that device. It's not, however, a philosophy that can/should be extended to more complex uses.

No one, however, is forced to buy and use an iPad. All in all, better designs emerge from people with particular "visions" rather from committees that try to design universal applications and devices that are all things to everyone. And for that, Apple deserves applause, not complaints.

Last edited:

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it's better on than off. Better of the 2 evils.

Should be allowed to edit or modify it manually, though. Like a dictionary file in a word processor!

Actually there is a cool jailbreak app called "Manual Correct Pro" which switches the default auto correction on its head. Instead of auto correcting, it suggests a correction and if you want it you tap it for the correction, if not you just carry on and it leaves what you typed.
For me, that's much more intuitive than the standard auto-correction! Worth it's weight in gold...

This is wonderful. Thanks for the heads up!!

seamaster97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sir_ben said:
My only dislike about the iPad 2 is the accessories are too darn expensive! :D

Expensive accessories + Impulsive Trigger Finger = Gaping hole in Wallet. :)

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most annoying thing for me with the iPad is how ridiculous it is to just close a running program. In my opinion every app should have an X you can click on that shuts the app down. Instead of the ridiculous amount of home button clicking and tapping it currently has. It's extremely annoying.

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The most annoying thing for me with the iPad is how ridiculous it is to just close a running program. In my opinion every app should have an X you can click on that shuts the app down. Instead of the ridiculous amount of home button clicking and tapping it currently has. It's extremely annoying.

Ditto on that. Great idea.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

neile45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that mine was stolen, and it won't be a couple months till I can replace it. It was stolen 2 weeks ago, and I am having major withdrawals.

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those seeking user logins, I just saw there is a jailbreak app that allows that now. I forget what it's called, but I saw it on Redmond Pie.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There's some confusion about what a "running" program is in the iPad environment. In fact, iOS is not a true multi-tasking OS. Thus, when you exit a program (with a few favored exceptions such as iPod or Pandora), it is NO LONGER RUNNING. Other than the few favored programs, all others are automatically "suspended." You don't have to close them. Closing them will not free memory or make your system run faster.

Unfortunately, Apple only adds to this confusion for marketing reasons. They received some bad press in comparison to Android for the absence of multi-tasking. The current OS version is in response to that. But it is not a true multi-tasking environment in which virtually any program can be left running while another is accessed.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's some confusion about what a "running" program is in the iPad environment. In fact, iOS is not a true multi-tasking OS. Thus, when you exit a program (with a few favored exceptions such as iPod or Pandora), it is NO LONGER RUNNING. Other than the few favored programs, all others are automatically "suspended." You don't have to close them. Closing them will not free memory or make your system run faster.

Unfortunately, Apple only adds to this confusion for marketing reasons. They received some bad press in comparison to Android for the absence of multi-tasking. The current OS version is in response to that. But it is not a true multi-tasking environment in which virtually any program can be left running while another is accessed.

closing an app will free MY memory, and make MY system run faster.

did you try multitasking gestures? i can swipe from app to app without the need of bringing up task switcher(or whatever its called).

at the end of the day, my 2 ipad's are multitaskers, but i didn't add MT gestures to my iphone's or ipod touches.

mickeycek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post, and first i want to say iPad2 is my first Apple device (i've bought iPhone 4 also couple of days ago) and i want to say both devices are AWSOME !!! (i have already used Android tablets/phones - galaxy tab and htc desire - and they cannot even get close to iPad and iPhone!!) iOS is great and i love many usefull apps you can find on appstore (on android market you can also find million of crap apps)

Some of you say you wouldn't want iPad to have a camera... i disagree becouse:
- front camera is great for video calls
- rear camera is great for Augmented reality apps and games
- rear camera also shoots great video.. pictures are bad but it isn't intended for taking pictures

i think rear camera was ment for AR apps and apps like barcode scanner ... it's good enough for that.

Sorry for my english,

Miha

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish there were arrow keys on the keyboard to back space for editing text. I just need to get use to the magnifying glass thing,, but it did work.

Wish I could install a swype keyboard! Absolutely love it on my android phone!!

mickeycek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish there were arrow keys on the keyboard to back space for editing text. I just need to get use to the magnifying glass thing,, but it did work.

Wish I could install a swype keyboard! Absolutely love it on my android phone!!

Here i can help you... if you have jailbroken ipad/iphone here is how you install swype on it: Video : Swype On iPad | iPad Blog

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do I dislike about the iPad2?

I dislike the incredible number of people who buy one without doing any research and then whine that it won't do <whatever>, when it is clearly and voluminously documented on the internet that it won't do <whatever>.

Other than that, I got no real complaints. :p

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dislike the incredible number of people who buy one without doing any research and then whine that it won't do <whatever>, when it is clearly and voluminously documented on the internet that it won't do <whatever>.

yea, instead they should all just shut up and praise apple like all the other apple fanboys.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions