What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My On-Going Adventures to Working with my iPad

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I am not going to rehash the article here, since I have it already written on my blog site, but this article is my own experiences into getting my iPad to work for me in the various endeavors I have undertaken to try and make a living. It covers apps and methods and workflows I have found to work for me. While they may not apply to everyone, maybe they will inspire you all to think outside the box when it comes to using your iPad at your work.

iPad in My Workplace

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice. Loved the tagline at the top.

That keyboard looks good and theres even room for arrow keys. Surprised no one is offering one.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very enjoyable read. Innovative and inexpensive solution to a stand you have! Shows how iPad is a very useful device. I use mine at work, but mainly as a reference. I am tied to a work desktop all day. But I don't go to work without it ever, and I use it so scrawl notes quickly without needing to use paper, and printed information I have stored as PDF files for access without having papers all over the place.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great blog! Thanks for sharing!

I work at home and my iPad has helped me go greener in a couple ways. I have a huge encyclopedia that I have to source frequently for quotes. I used to have to go across the room copy the quote onto paper then go back to the pc and enter the info. Now I take the iPad across the room type the info into Evernote and voilá the info is on my pc and I just copy and paste from Evernote. I also run a lot of adding machine tapes. Now I use Digits calculator app which has a tape instead. If I need to keep the tape, I email it to myself!

And when I am really being lazy, I leave the office, stretch out on the sofa and with Splashtop, do some of my work there! Life is good! :)

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Loved that Business Card Holder Idea !!!

A great stand at a great price....Ken

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great blog. I LOVE your stand - genius! I also love that you started by saying that the iPad is no longer a consumption device ... This is still what most people seem to think despite growing evidence to the contrary. I just keep telling myself that such misconceptions together with fruitless comparisons with other devices (" just a giant iPod") .. Mean that we are all watching/engaging with actual changes about the conceptualization of what personal computers ARE and HOW they are used ...exciting stuff. As someone who is also grappling with workflow & interested in utilizing the strengths of this ingenious little device your blog is helpful & relevant. Thanks.

OP
deckyon

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Thanks for the comments. I do appreciate them. I have just created a 2nd entry for this blog for the iPad and my Work. This one focuses on the ZAGGmate BT Keyboard case. It was written completely on the iPad using the Wordpress app and the photo was taken on my BB and the photo sent to my iPad via email. Again, I am trying to show how much the iPad can be used instead of my laptop. It is working out well enough that I leave my laptop docked 90% of the time now.

iPad in My Workplace 2 Extra Thoughts

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a Bluetooth keyboard when I purchased the iPad but I haven't really used it much. That said, I am going back tom work & my usage volume and need for input will change dramatically so that may change very soon. For me part of the beauty of the iPad is that is doesn't require a keyboard and is entirely portable - as a teacher this means that I can walk around a class with the device without it being cumbersome and/or getting in the way of what I am saying or teaching be it to a class or an individual. I am still making some mistakes on the iPad keyboard but I am not a great typer anyway & as with the iPhone I have had for a coupe of years, predictive text gives me all sorts of issues!!

Imam hoping that I can create Pages & Keynote lessons that I then screen to a TV or projector - keeping lessons on the iPad for reuse next year - this also means that I have record of what I am teaching - file management was an issue here but Readdle Docs has fixed this - so I am hopeful & excited about the coming semester.

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad for everything - I use it at home for 'casual web browsing' as is the major use case for it. I also use it between classes, sitting on a bench or something because even though I have a macbook air it's a bit awkward to hold it in my lap and type and what not. I also use it in tight spaces, eg on the bus or on planes because it's far more nimble than my air.

I use it to do everything from web browse to looking up interface ideas and catching up on best practices. I also have all of the Apple mac development books in iBooks so I read them from time to time to make sure I don't forget anything.

It really is a great tool if you set it up to be one.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Hey, any updates to this yet? I have been looking to see if you have discovered any other highly useful tools for work. The one I use now (in addition of some of the ones you suggested) is the AppShopper app. Especially for watching for apps that may be on sale and creating a wishlist.

Most reactions