What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Location

darinr80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 16GB with no 3G, but even when I was on wifi before, Google Maps would show my location, and now it doesn't. How can I fix this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have location services turned on?Go to settings-location services,on-maps,on.This will enable your location to be shown in the maps App.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
darinr80 said:
I do have location services on. It still doesn't work but used to.

Go into location services,then scroll down to system services and check there that you have everything turned on

OP
D

darinr80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm connected to wifi, yet it still shows cannot determine location, and all location services are on. Any other ideas??

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you in the same location where it used to work? A wifi only iPad doesn't come with true GPS ability but it can show locations to some degree of accuracy depending on towers in the area.

Just thought I'd throw this in as a possible cause as to why it's not working now. Hopefully someone will know more.

OP
D

darinr80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oddly enough, while I was out and about with my iPad, I used my phone as a hotspot, and as a result, it found my location right away. It is only the home wireless that doesn't show my location for some reason...

AEarlCheal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to use an ipad2w/out 3g as a gps? I have a hot spot on my Droid X and with sat. On, it will not worh as a gps

AEarlCheal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using gps

If you have an ipad2 w/3g, do you have to be connented with Verizon or another carrier or can you use a hot spot on smart phone to make ipad work as a true gps?

OP
D

darinr80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought you could use the iPad 2 with a phone as a hot spot and get GPS. Not sure 100%, though.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
darinr80 said:
I thought you could use the iPad 2 with a phone as a hot spot and get GPS. Not sure 100%, though.

No,you can't get GPS on a wifi only iPad that way.

OP
D

darinr80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that when I tether my iPad to my phone, I can find my location in Google Maps, but it won't track continuously.

Most reactions

Latest posts