What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad2 will not lock either with cover or on its own can anyone help please?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you have the correct cover. If you have one intended for an iPad 3 the magnets are oriented differently, and won't turn off the iPad 2.

Apart from that its just a case of playing with settings.

kgosmond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad2 suddenly stopped turning off when the cover closed. It makes a clicking noise when the cover is closed, but does not turn odd the screen. Anyone?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you go to Settings>General>iPad Cover Lock/Unlock, is the switch set to on. If it's off, the Smart Cover won't put your iPad to sleep.

image-4204131371.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The settings are set to be on but the screen won't sleep mode on the cover being closed. It does make a click noise, however.

Maybe KevinJS had the right answer. Maybe the problem is the Smart Cover, not the iPad? What you need to do is test the iPad with other Smart Covers. Go to an Apple store or another iPad retailer and see if they have any demo Smart Covers you can test. A friend with an iPad Smart Cover is a god choice as well.

shibbu sharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a full shutdown just click home button and a button on left side press both buttons together then switch off will appear

But not switch off n continueee presss both button home or left hand side till it not make reboot self
We call this style hard reboot ur everything will be same before

kgosmond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a full shutdown just click home button and a button on left side press both buttons together then switch off will appear

But not switch off n continueee presss both button home or left hand side till it not make reboot self
We call this style hard reboot ur everything will be same before

I tried this, but no luck. The cover actually does "click" and shut the screen down. I peeked under the cover before opening it up completely. But when I open
It up fully, the screen comes on. Maybe it is the cover.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried this, but no luck. The cover actually does "click" and shut the screen down. I peeked under the cover before opening it up completely. But when I open
It up fully, the screen comes on. Maybe it is the cover.

That's exactly the way the Smart Cover is supposed to work. It puts the iPad to sleep when you close the cover and wakes it up when the cover is opened.

Last edited:

kgosmond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly the way the Smart Cover is supposed to work. It puts the iPad to sleep when you close the cover and wakes it up when the cover is opened.

Wait! Holy ******. I had to reset my iPad recently and didn't turn on the pass code. THAT'S WHY IT WAS DOING THAT!

Thanks, people.

Most reactions

Latest posts