What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad2 crashes if I try to open anything.

John M R Briggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't even open settings without it crashing. I have no apps opne although some need updating I'm sure. I use iCloud to synch with my iMac.

Any help much appreciated.

John

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Resetting is holding Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then letting go of both.

The iPad doesn't always need the same amount of time to show the logo.

OP
John M R Briggs

John M R Briggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resetting is holding Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then letting go of both.

The iPad doesn't always need the same amount of time to show the logo.
I tried this hard reset numerous times, but no change in the problem.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you update your iPad over the air (using Wi-Fi), or through iTunes?

OP
John M R Briggs

John M R Briggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
update your iPad? how? I can't get into settings as it crashes first. Is there another way? I have an iMac running synched via icloud etc.

by the way - thank you for your help with this - I have MS and if I have to take the iPad somewhere to get it fixed is hard for me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's also possible to update your iPad using iTunes. Here are the instructions:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12124

Before updating, make sure the latest iTunes version is installed, backup your device (also possible using iTunes), then update it.

After updating, reset your iPad once more.

It looks like you updated in Settings - General - Software Update until now. Updating with iTunes might help with your problem.

Last edited:
OP
John M R Briggs

John M R Briggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
T
It's also possible to update your iPad using iTunes. Here are the instructions:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12124

Before updating, make sure the latest iTunes version is installed, backup your device (also possible using iTunes), then update it.

After updating, reset your iPad once more.

It looks like you updated in Settings - General - Software Update until now. Updating with iTunes might help with your problem.

The link just takes me to a blank page, but never mind. It may be my fault.

You are right I did all my system and iTunes updates on the iPad in 'Settings - General - Software Update', but I can't even open iTunes to update directly now.

I may be able to do something by plugging the iPad into my iMac and synching or something???

My iPad is backed up on iCloud (I think) but I am way out of my depth now.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Updating via iTunes on your Mac is what this link should show you.

When you tap it, you'll see this at first, when you access this forum in Safari:
image.jpg

Tap "Continue" to access the Apple Support site.

If it still shows a blank page, force close Safari and try the link again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
T

The link just takes me to a blank page, but never mind. It may be my fault.

You are right I did all my system and iTunes updates on the iPad in 'Settings - General - Software Update', but I can't even open iTunes to update directly now.

I may be able to do something by plugging the iPad into my iMac and synching or something???

My iPad is backed up on iCloud (I think) but I am way out of my depth now.
If you see a blank page when tapping the link on a page, swipe up on the screen and the page in J. A.'s screenshot will appear.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is just a short explanation of the difference between iTunes Store and iTunes:

iTunes Store is a built in app on your iPad. You can purchase music, movies, ringtones,... there.

iTunes is installed on your computer. If it isn't you'll have to download and install it. It can be used to backup your iDevice, update or restore it. You'll also find purchased apps, music, videos, ... there.

OP
John M R Briggs

John M R Briggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updating via iTunes on your Mac is what this link should show you.

When you tap it, you'll see this at first, when you access this forum in Safari:
View attachment 62196
Tap "Continue" to access the Apple Support site.

If it still shows a blank page, force close Safari and try the link again.
still won't work on my iMac - get the white screen. Is there any chance you could just telll me what to do? Sorry to be a pain.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. :)

So here's the text:

iTunes 11 for Mac: Update and restore software on iPod, iPhone, or iPad

iOS software on iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad.

If you are having problems with your device, you can also use iTunes to reinstall the software and restore your device’s default settings.

Important: Restoring iOS software on iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad deletes your information, but doesn’t erase it. Deleted information can’t be accessed through the device’s controls, but it remains on your device. To find out more about erasing all content and settings (if, for example, you plan to give your iPhone away), see this article at the Apple Support website.
Update or restore your software
  1. Connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to your computer and select your device.

2. Click the Summary button.

3. Do one of the following:
    • See if a newer version of the software is available:
      Click Check for Update.
    • Restore your software:
      Click Restore, and follow the onscreen instructions.
  4. To install an available update, click Update.
If you’re restoring software on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad, iTunes backs up your device at the start of the process. You can restore your settings from the backup at the end of the restore.
(Apple Support)

OP
John M R Briggs

John M R Briggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. :)

So here's the text:

iTunes 11 for Mac: Update and restore software on iPod, iPhone, or iPad

iOS software on iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad.

If you are having problems with your device, you can also use iTunes to reinstall the software and restore your device’s default settings.

Important: Restoring iOS software on iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad deletes your information, but doesn’t erase it. Deleted information can’t be accessed through the device’s controls, but it remains on your device. To find out more about erasing all content and settings (if, for example, you plan to give your iPhone away), see this article at the Apple Support website.
Update or restore your software
  1. Connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to your computer and select your device.

2. Click the Summary button.

3. Do one of the following:
    • See if a newer version of the software is available:
      Click Check for Update.
    • Restore your software:
      Click Restore, and follow the onscreen instructions.
  4. To install an available update, click Update.
If you’re restoring software on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad, iTunes backs up your device at the start of the process. You can restore your settings from the backup at the end of the restore.
(Apple Support)
Just so you know - I am still working on it and will not give up! - late night probably.

John

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

If problems occur, don't hesitate to ask.

Most reactions

Latest posts