What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad won't backup

harrisorie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am so frustrated in trying to update my iPad but after 12 hours the backup is still not finished and I have now tried FOUR times! It appears to get so far quite quickly and then hangs. Can anyone help me?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a new problem or one you've experienced previously? Which iPad do you have and what version of iOS? Also, do you have the latest version of iTunes. I've also moved this to the Help section, where I think it will receive better attention.

Tim

OP
H

harrisorie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1, have updated to the latest iTunes so I could go to ios5 .

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try this: Go to iTunes > Edit > Preferences > Devices ... and delete any/all backups of your iPad that are showing. Then, try to run a backup again.

Sometimes, backups get corrupted and you have to delete 'em...

Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
H

harrisorie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried this after the first failure and now have no backups remaining on my computer - it did not make any difference

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, now I'm just starting to throw out ideas...

- Try rebooting your computer (and thus, iTunes)

- Restart or reset your iPad (or both!), then try a back-up again

- Go into your computer's directory and delete any backups that might be there (sometimes, iTunes misses one...). Here are some general addresses where iTunes puts the backups (yours may be a bit different):

* Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
* Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
* Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Those are the steps that I would do, if faced with your problem. If none of these work, then I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas and all I can suggest is you visit an Apple store and talk to the geniuses there. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
H

harrisorie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, I will try these and see what happens

Nick

OP
H

harrisorie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, that worked and i found 3 old backups to delete have now got ios5 , but I have lost all my apps! iTunes says there are no backups available. Do I have to reload from the app store or is there another way?

Nick

Most reactions

Latest posts