What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my ipad was hacked while I was using it.

jackie1509

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a novice on the IPad and mostly just use it for Internet and email. Whilst I was using my ipad a cursor came onto the screen and took control of it. I was helpless whilst the cursor closed applications and opened others in front of me. I tried powering off but had no control over the power buttons. the only solution I could think of to stop it was to unplug my wifi. I have spoken to apple and they have denied this is possible but unfortunately I know it is possible as how else can a cursor come into the screen and take over control. I do not know what to do to stop it happening again. I have changed my wifi password but have no idea what I can do to protect. Has anyone had this happen to them and do younhave any suggestions on what I can do.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doesn't sound right to me. Does anyone that was around you have a bluetooth mouse? Did you leave your iPad laying around so that that person had access to it? If that happened to me, I'd reset it to factory settings. Obviously someone installed an app, or attached a device on your iPad that allows them to take control. I don't think there is a way for someone to "hack" in from the outside world. Also, the power button thing doesn't sound right. I bet if you held the power button and home key down, it would have rebooted. Reset you iPad. Go into settings/General/Reset(Bottom of page)/Erase All Content and Settings. You'll loose anything on the iPad, so make sure that you back it up first. When it's complete, you'll have to set it back up, or restore form the backup, but you might end up installing the same app that allowed them to take control in the first place, so I'd start over from scratch. My 2 cents. Take 'em for what they're worth. Welcome aboard.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the only time i have ever had this happen to me was when i let Apple install remote access to my MacBook Pro so they could see what was happening when it wouldn't install an update,even then i had to give permission and accept the remote access.....also i had control of the cursor.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a novice on the IPad and mostly just use it for Internet and email. Whilst I was using my ipad a cursor came onto the screen and took control of it. I was helpless whilst the cursor closed applications and opened others in front of me. I tried powering off but had no control over the power buttons. the only solution I could think of to stop it was to unplug my wifi. I have spoken to apple and they have denied this is possible but unfortunately I know it is possible as how else can a cursor come into the screen and take over control. I do not know what to do to stop it happening again. I have changed my wifi password but have no idea what I can do to protect. Has anyone had this happen to them and do younhave any suggestions on what I can do.

I think it far more likely that your problems are the result of a defective touchscreen, resulting in spurious commands being given to the iPad. You should make a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple store so that a diagnostic can be done.

OP
J

jackie1509

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was only my husband and I in the house. We were not using any other devices and were both sitting side by side at the time. Apple did assist us backing up the system onto our lap top and then set the ipad to factory settings. They have shown me how to take a photograph if it should happen again although I am not sure i would still have control of the ipad to do it. In my panic I did frantically try to power off but am now aware I need to hold the power button down for longer. Hopefully it doesn't happen again but I have lost my trust in apple security and will not be using it in future for my banking. Other then that my ipad would be quite boring to a hacker and don't see what they can take from it. I work for a large company and am used to giving access for my works lap top to our IT department to work on it remotely and experienced visually what happens then on my IPad. I don't believe as apple have told me that it was touch screen sensitive syndrome as why did I get a cursor opening closing applications.

OP
J

jackie1509

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen the genius at the apple store and they have reset it to factory settings. If it was a defective touch screen why was I seeing a cursor taking the controls?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's go at this another way: Why would anyone want to take control of your iPad by opening up random apps? What would they accomplish by being so conspicuous about it? If I were going to hack something, I'd do it in the background, so you wouldn't even know it was happening.

No one can prove a negative -- that no one hacked your iPad. So if you don't trust Apple, then use accordingly. There's no reassurance that others can offer here other than to tell you that many of us have used iPads and other iDevices for years, and think they can be relied upon. Your wifi connection is another matter -- that's up to each owner to secure.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I once asked an Apple employee if I could use a Magic Mouse with the iPad and the answer was no - iOS doesn't have code to support a cursor.

davidluis1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might not sound right, but the same thing happened to my iPad yesterday. It started opening different apps, played one of my games (tried to purchase addon in game but I have the settings to not allow this), looked at photos and the whole time the screen was not able to be controlled nor would the system poweroff...

You cannot take a screenshot of it while it does this, as you cannot control any of the functions of the iPad. It was definately strange and makes me happy I ahve never used one of the banking apps.

duongel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
itun.es
PRISM is calling :p

no seriously, that sounds like a remote accessoire to me, bluetooth keyboard/mouse or something like that, somebody has had his fun with you

OP
J

jackie1509

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry it happened to you but am pleased to hear I am not alone. When ever I discuss this issue with someone including Apple I am told it is not possible to access an ipad remotely. They have suggested my problem was 'random screen touch sensitive'! I believe I know the difference between random screen movement and someone systematically opening apps and closing them in front of me using an icon. In future I will not be using any of the banking apps. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

OP
J

jackie1509

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry but I do not know what jail broken is. I bought the ipad from an apple store about 18 months ago and I haven't done any changes to it.

Most reactions

Latest posts