What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my ipad update.

OP
M

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
having done a bit of reading up it seems that the usb cable from the back of the pc to the ipad might not have a powerful enough charge to charge it !!! all I know is that when I connect to the usb (for itunes sync) the ipad has a message saying NOT CHARGING...and when I connect to to cable attached to the mains it does chanrge. I had hoped to be able to use one cable for both jobs (funnily enough I can do this for my ipod touch) The usb cable that I use to sync the ipad and itunes DOES sync AND charge the ipad touch.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get it now, you want to charge your iPad while it's connected to your computer. Well, as you've discovered. The USB ports on your computer don't supply enough power to charge an iPad battery but does have the power to charge the much smaller iPod Touch battery.

All I can say is that in your case, you'll have to use the separate charger plugged into the wall socket to charge your iPad.

One last thing; when you get the message on your computer that your iPad is not charging, it's not exactly true. It is charging, just very slowly. It could take several days to trickle charge your iPad by connecting it to the USB port on your computer.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to charge an iPad from a computer, you will need USB 3.x, which supplies sufficient power to do it. All current Macs are equipped with USB 3.0. Expansion cards are available for PCs which have the older versions.

The iPhone and iPod touch will both charge from USB 2.x.

OP
M

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys.
at least I now know why I can't do it....just carry on as before.

need to remember to take all the cables with me when I go on hoiday.

Most reactions

Latest posts