What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad seems to get slow after upgrading to ios5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Glad the iPad is running well. Are you saying that you still cannot get a backup/sync to complete? Just curious as there are some options.

Thanks for checking in and enjoy!

Yeah, seems to be running well, especially after I run the Process Killer.

I can get it to sync if I don't enable the backup, but I can't get the backup to work. It just hangs. I got onto the Preferences and deleted the old backups, and got it to start, but about half way through, it just stopped - had to kill the AppleBackup process and then kill iTunes. iCloud backup just does not work, sticks on the message regarding calculating backup time. I wonder if there is a corrupt file on the iPad.

If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to give it a try, but not too serious as I mainly use GoodReader and VLC for my docs and videos, and they are copied from my desktop, so I always have a copy, but would be happier if everything was running properly, and my other data was backed up. I'm happy to keep the backups on my desktop, iCloud only gives me 5GB which is not that much....

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, seems to be running well, especially after I run the Process Killer.

I can get it to sync if I don't enable the backup, but I can't get the backup to work. It just hangs. I got onto the Preferences and deleted the old backups, and got it to start, but about half way through, it just stopped - had to kill the AppleBackup process and then kill iTunes. iCloud backup just does not work, sticks on the message regarding calculating backup time. I wonder if there is a corrupt file on the iPad.

If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to give it a try, but not too serious as I mainly use GoodReader and VLC for my docs and videos, and they are copied from my desktop, so I always have a copy, but would be happier if everything was running properly, and my other data was backed up. I'm happy to keep the backups on my desktop, iCloud only gives me 5GB which is not that much....
Got it. When you say the backup stops, do you mean it hangs? Plus the backup should run prior to syncing, so I'm a little confused.

If this is the first backup since upgrading to iOS 5 it can take a while because it's a full backup. Future backups will be incremental and take less time, but the initial one could take an hour or so depending on how much data you have. Just wondering if you're giving it enough time. If it's not actually giving you an error you might leave it to backup over night and see how it goes.

The amount of data could also be why iCloud and WiFi backups appear to take so long or not work at all. With iCloud your broadband connection speed could have a lot to do with it as well.

In any case, let us know how it goes!

V1king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it. When you say the backup stops, do you mean it hangs? Plus the backup should run prior to syncing, so I'm a little confused.

If this is the first backup since upgrading to iOS 5 it can take a while because it's a full backup. Future backups will be incremental and take less time, but the initial one could take an hour or so depending on how much data you have. Just wondering if you're giving it enough time. If it's not actually giving you an error you might leave it to backup over night and see how it goes.

The amount of data could also be why iCloud and WiFi backups appear to take so long or not work at all. With iCloud your broadband connection speed could have a lot to do with it as well.

In any case, let us know how it goes!

Hi Rich,

OK, plugged in the iPad, specified backup to this computer, turned off iCloud on the iPad. Checked the contents of the iPad, and there is approx. 2.5Gb. Clicked on 'Sync' (in iTunes), specified 7 steps to do, did step 1 (preparation), started step 2 (backup) - the status bar moved quickly to about 1/3, and has stopped. No disk activity on the desktop, but AppleMobileDeviceService service is chewing up 50% of total CPU constantly. I would say it is stuck, but will leave it for a while and see if anything happens.

Stay tuned, I'll get back to you in a while....might even go the extra step and leave it overnight?

EDIT: The process AppleMobileBackup.exe just sitting there doing nothing. After 1hr, I killed the process and the sync proceeded. So, I would say the problem is with the backup......either the process is screwed or there is a corruption that is causing it to hang.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:

popo99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 almost unusable for web-browsing after iOS upgrade

Most pages time out and require reloads now. That never happened once before iOS5 was installed. Overall the speed of the entire device is now nothing short of awful. There is a delay after typing a key, and seeing the characters appear on the screen.

I have tried rebooting. I have used process killer. I have turned off iCloud and even location services.

On top of that, Safari crashes regularly (as do several of my other apps which are now rendered incompatible by iOS5). And who on Earth thought that sacrificing screen real-estate for tabbed browsing was a good idea?

I have taken to web-surfing on my Nokia phone because my iPad is currently too frustrating to use. If anyone has any other ideas for speeding up wi-fi -- I would love to hear them. I miss my iPad! But this iOS update is an unmitigated disaster.

(I have heard something about setting up DNS servers on one's router? IS that really necessary?)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most pages time out and require reloads now. That never happened once before iOS5 was installed. Overall the speed of the entire device is now nothing short of awful. There is a delay after typing a key, and seeing the characters appear on the screen.

I have tried rebooting. I have used process killer. I have turned off iCloud and even location services.

On top of that, Safari crashes regularly (as do several of my other apps which are now rendered incompatible by iOS5). And who on Earth thought that sacrificing screen real-estate for tabbed browsing was a good idea?

I have taken to web-surfing on my Nokia phone because my iPad is currently too frustrating to use. If anyone has any other ideas for speeding up wi-fi -- I would love to hear them. I miss my iPad! But this iOS update is an unmitigated disaster.

(I have heard something about setting up DNS servers on one's router? IS that really necessary?)
Sorry to hear about your frustrating experiences. Here are a couple of things to try. First you said you "rebooted", not sure what process you used, but resetting (not restarting) cured these issues for me and many others:

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If it's a network issue try rebooting all of your equipment including the modem/router, associated computer, etc. You can also try deleting (forget this network) the Wi-Fi setting on your iPad and setting it up again.

If all else fails, a reset to factory settings may be needed:

Restore the iPad
  1. First make sure you have a USB 2.0 connection cable and the latest version of iTunes installed
  2. Connect the iPad to your Mac or PC and launch iTunes
  3. In the Devices section click on the iPad icon then the Summary tab and then click on the Restore button
  4. When prompted, click on Back Up to back up all your iPad's media and settings
  5. Then click on the Restore button
  6. This will restore your iPad to its factory settings and install the latest version of the iPad operating software. Once this is completed, the iPad will restart
  7. You can now restore all your iPad's media and settings from the most recent back up then click Continue. Your iPad should now be up and running again...
More here:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

As mentioned, mine and millions of other iPads (original and iPad 2) are working fine so yours should too.

Hope that helps!

timrobben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys is ios5 really worth updating ? I'm currently on 4.3.3.

Anyone can share their experience on Cloud ?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

As mentioned, using the search feature will usually turn up a lot of great information. There are numerous threads about iOS 5 and iCloud (iCloud has its own area) so I'd start there.

Here's one specific to your question:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49664-ios5-worth-update.html

Rather than staring another/duplicate thread we'll go ahead and close this one.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts