What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad seems to get slow after upgrading to ios5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

malen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I just find my ipad got slower since i upgraded to the new ios5. I used to brag about how fast it is compared to pc but now, im quite wondering why it comes to this.. I stil have 8g availabe space from it..

zulu789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my gen1 64gb 3G unit. It's painfully slow since the IOS 5 upgrade.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad to hear others are having the same issue, I thought something was wrong with my iPad too. I even have a delayed response when typing. I have the first iPad .

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed it on occasion, but thought it was my ISP. I have also noticed occasional slow response when typing, but the norm.

Ed

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

grimbarian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first thought would be - is this a working memory problem? The iPad has only 250MB in which apps can actually run and the iPad2 has, I think, 500MB. After using several apps on my iPad there can be as little as 5MB left unused and this can cause unexpected slow downs and crashes to apps which are normally well behaved.

One way to free up some working memory is to reboot the iPad by holding the Home and Sleep buttons down at the same time for at least 7 seconds until you see a blank screen.

Another way is to use an app which came out this month called Process Killer. (It was free when I downloaded it and may still be free) I have found this very useful. You can see a graphical representation on screen as it frees up working space. One advantage of using this app as far as I can see is it doesn't remove the icons of the recently used apps you find by double tapping the Home button so you can still get at those quickly. Don't worry if it looks as though Process Killer sometimes crashes. It just means it has freed up the memory it was using!

John the Grimbarian

zulu789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grimbarian, I make a habit of rebooting at least 2x's/day and periodically ending task by double clicking the home button then ending the running programs in the lower ribbon bar. I have made some iCloud configuration changes. Originally I was backing up to my MBP and only syncing bookmarks. I have since turned off bookmark syncing to see if that has any relation to speed. Nothing conclusive yet.

Does "process killer" go by another name? I don't see it in the App Store.

M

grimbarian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zulu789: I typed in the words process killer this morning and it was found straight away. I wonder if it is one of those apps which seem to be available only in some areas. I'm in the UK.

V1king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new here......have also experienced terrible performance after upgrading to iOS5, in fact the upgrade process was slow, painful, and also said it aborted and did I want to restore, to which I replied Yes, and it then went through the restore process, which it claimed also failed, but when I finally rebooted, it came up as iOS5, with all the new 'features', but I had to resync to get all my apps back. Sorry for the boring story, but after startup it was terribly slow. Took ages to get anything done.
So, getting on the web (from my laptop :) ) I found this forum, and some other articles that refer to the new iCloud - a recommendation was to disable it. I did that, and I also downloaded Process Killer and let it kill everything and clean up, and my iPad now seems to be running better.
Thanks, I'll let it go for a while, but if anyone has some good suggestions, that would be great.

gidlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just "upgraded" my iPad 2 and am very disappointed. Some apps are so slow as to be unusable.

Can I go back to iOS 4?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just "upgraded" my iPad 2 and am very disappointed. Some apps are so slow as to be unusable.

Can I go back to iOS 4?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With respect to your question, unfortunately the short answer is no, you cannot "go back" to an earlier iOS version. Many folks have had marked improvements in speed and performance by resetting their iPads after the upgrade.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.

More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Hope that helps. There are other suggestions here on this thread and elsewhere and others may chime in as well.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:

V1king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turned off iCloud backup, it did not work anyway, and WiFi sync also does not work, but that really doesn't matter, as you still need to have iTunes running on your computer, so using a USB cable is ok. But, i cannot get the backup to work at all, it just hangs.
Besides, after disabling iCloud, i also purchased Process Killler ($0.95) which I ran to do a memory cleanup, and also did a reset, and my iPad is now running smoothly again.
Just installed the Forums App, and that is great, gives a feeling that there are people out there that care :)
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turned off iCloud backup, it did not work anyway, and WiFi sync also does not work, but that really doesn't matter, as you still need to have iTunes running on your computer, so using a USB cable is ok. But, i cannot get the backup to work at all, it just hangs.
Besides, after disabling iCloud, i also purchased Process Killler ($0.95) which I ran to do a memory cleanup, and also did a reset, and my iPad is now running smoothly again.
Just installed the Forums App, and that is great, gives a feeling that there are people out there that care :)
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Glad the iPad is running well. Are you saying that you still cannot get a backup/sync to complete? Just curious as there are some options.

Thanks for checking in and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts