My ipad seems to get slow after upgrading to ios5.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by malen, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malen

malen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi. I just find my ipad got slower since i upgraded to the new ios5. I used to brag about how fast it is compared to pc but now, im quite wondering why it comes to this.. I stil have 8g availabe space from it..

2. zulu789

zulu789
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have the same issue on my gen1 64gb 3G unit. It's painfully slow since the IOS 5 upgrade.

3. iluvmyipad

iluvmyipad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear others are having the same issue, I thought something was wrong with my iPad too. I even have a delayed response when typing. I have the first iPad .

4. Ed62

Ed62
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed it on occasion, but thought it was my ISP. I have also noticed occasional slow response when typing, but the norm.

Ed

5. Ed62

Ed62
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I should have said "not" the norm.

6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
    Scotland

7. grimbarian

grimbarian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My first thought would be - is this a working memory problem? The iPad has only 250MB in which apps can actually run and the iPad2 has, I think, 500MB. After using several apps on my iPad there can be as little as 5MB left unused and this can cause unexpected slow downs and crashes to apps which are normally well behaved.

One way to free up some working memory is to reboot the iPad by holding the Home and Sleep buttons down at the same time for at least 7 seconds until you see a blank screen.

Another way is to use an app which came out this month called Process Killer. (It was free when I downloaded it and may still be free) I have found this very useful. You can see a graphical representation on screen as it frees up working space. One advantage of using this app as far as I can see is it doesn't remove the icons of the recently used apps you find by double tapping the Home button so you can still get at those quickly. Don't worry if it looks as though Process Killer sometimes crashes. It just means it has freed up the memory it was using!

John the Grimbarian

8. zulu789

zulu789
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Grimbarian, I make a habit of rebooting at least 2x's/day and periodically ending task by double clicking the home button then ending the running programs in the lower ribbon bar. I have made some iCloud configuration changes. Originally I was backing up to my MBP and only syncing bookmarks. I have since turned off bookmark syncing to see if that has any relation to speed. Nothing conclusive yet.

Does "process killer" go by another name? I don't see it in the App Store.

M

9. grimbarian

grimbarian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Zulu789: I typed in the words process killer this morning and it was found straight away. I wonder if it is one of those apps which seem to be available only in some areas. I'm in the UK.

10. zulu789

zulu789
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    my bad. I tried again and was able to find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.