What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad is wrecked is it safe to sell?

Reaction score
Hi,

My original iPad (64 gig 3g) met a violent death. When it's connected to my PC, iTunes shows that it's in recovery mode. iTunes tries to fix it and can't. I used the iPad for several months, so I'm sure that there is (or was) quite a bit of personal information stored on it. The 3g had been activated, so that's a potential concern as well.

I would like to sell it to someone who could use the parts or, maybe, fix it, but I'm not about to sell my identity for a couple hundred bucks. Is there any way to tell if my information is accessible and/or to delete it?

Thanks.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you put it in dfu mode and restored it? Sound like it's still fine unless I misread your post? If it is actually broken why not have apple send you a replacement.

OP
B
Reaction score
Have you put it in dfu mode and restored it? Sound like it's still fine unless I misread your post? If it is actually broken why not have apple send you a replacement.
Thanks, but when I said "met a violent death", I was being literal.

I won't go into details on how it was broken, but, for perspective, it looks like it was run over by a truck more than once. The internal screen is cracked and does not display anything other than lighted cracks. The case is bent in several places. DFU mode is a no-go because the button on the side is non-functional. It does not turn on or off using the button on the side. It comes on (displaying the lighted cracks only) when plugged in or when connected to a computer. Once it's on, it's on until the battery runs out. When connected to the computer iTunes shows the recovery mode stuff, but is unable to actually recover anything. No knowing that much about the internal workings, I'm wondering if someone could reasonably pull the memory (SSHD?) and read whatever is on it.

You think Apple would send me a replacement?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well in theory who every buys it prolly could get the data off the flash memory chips. But would it be worth that kind of hassle to most people? Prolly not.

On the other hand, who else would buy it in that condition other than someone adept enough to use get to the good parts? So in that case IDK I kind of think it's not worth taking the risk, for the amount you would likely get for it. But that could just be me.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts