What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad is stuck and I can't turn it off - help

Mabsabrabcab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was using my ipad and logged out of the app I was using. I noticed the clock was about 5 minutes fast (since seen the thread about this) and decided to see if there was anything I could do about it in settings. When I tapped settings the 2 panels loaded, but everything on them was blank. Nothing else happened and the clock has stopped updating. I have tried turning off the ipad by holding down the button at the top for over a minute but nothing changes.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how I might reboot it?

its a wifi only ipad.

SDFun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has happened to me and if you hold the on/off button on top and the round button in the bottom center for about 30 seconds it reboots and is happy

vitesse67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try pressing both the on/off button and the home button at the same time for about 20 sec. I haven't tried this on the iPad but it works on the iPod touch.

OP
M

Mabsabrabcab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That seems to have worked. Thank you for your very quick answer - much appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dustbandit - welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, if an app starts acting up or just freezes, the easiest and quickest (and harmless) first choices are: 1) Double click the 'Home Buttom' (or use mutli-gesturing finger maneuvers) to bring up the taskbar - select the offending app and press/hold until the icon wiggles, then press the X - return to Home and select again to see if the problem is corrected; 2) Try a Restart - press & hold the 'On-Off-Sleep' button until the slide bar appears; shut off the iPad, and then press again and basically reboot the iPad; and 3) Finally try a Reset - hold the previously describe button simultaneously w/ the home button until the slide switch appears; shut off, wait, and then turn on the iPad w/ the button describe in #2. These sequential maneuvers will often correct many app problems - good luck all & hope this helps! :)

nesti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that I have a really huge problem with my iPad 2, I had a problem with an application, it didn't freeze but it had some malfunction, so I tried to turn of the iPad and everything worked just fine until I confirmed that I want it off, since that moment it has been in something like shutting down mode, the little "working" circle n the middle of the screen has been circling for the last 12 hours. I've tried holding the off key, connecting it to my main comp, but nothings seems to work. PLEASE HELP!

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried the RESET as described above. This is more than just holding down the off switch, and shuts the iPad down even when totally frozen up. I've never had a problem with an app or with the iPad generally that hasn't been resolved with this simple fix.

dyburman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help!! I am a newbie to this forum and I need help similar to the above, BUT a hard reset doesn't fix the problem!!

My iPad2 will freeze and I will do a reset (holding both buttons). It will go through an initialization and I will, very briefly, see a normal screen (e.g. with the finger slide to unlock). This quickly disappears and I get a black screen with the rotating thingie in the center. This soon stops rotating, or is rotating very slowly.
Doing a hard reset multiple times doesn't make a difference. If I leave the iPad alone, it eventually finishes resetting, but this could now be many hours later.

This has happened a few times in the last couple of weeks, especially during downloads from the iTunes Store over WiFi. It has gotten worse, and now my iPad is working, but my Windows computer will not recognize it. It thinks it is a new iPad and is asking me to register it.

The iPad has numerous apps on it and other than freezing every so often is working. Any thoughts before I do a reload of the software and completely wipe it out?

Thank you!!

free2luvcash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!But i tried holding both buttons for like 20 secs and it shows the apple icon and nothing else.I tried many times and the same thing.And then it putted me back to the unlock slide page by magic lol.Can semeone plz explain me how to reboot the Ipad so i know what to do instead of trying both buttons many times.Like do I have to wait when the Apple Icon shows up or what?????

If semeone can reply thx.

-Free2luvcash

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
free2luvcash said:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!But i tried holding both buttons for like 20 secs and it shows the apple icon and nothing else.I tried many times and the same thing.And then it putted me back to the unlock slide page by magic lol.Can semeone plz explain me how to reboot the Ipad so i know what to do instead of trying both buttons many times.Like do I have to wait when the Apple Icon shows up or what?????

If semeone can reply thx.

-Free2luvcash

Look at post number 6

Most reactions