My iPad 2 now has wireless internet any where for free!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by AaronB., Oct 24, 2011.

1. AaronB.

AaronB. iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    People have told me for the longest, whats the point of having an iPad if you cant get on the internet anywhere you want. So I looked into to it and I found a solution. I have a HTC hero (sprint) and I looked on the android market for some wifi tether apps and they all said that the phone had to be rooted. So then I went to youtube learned how to root my phone and rooted it successfully. So now I have wifi any where and every where for free by using my phones wifi.

Attached Files:

2. AaronB.

AaronB. iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    BTW it is a 16g iPad 2 wifi (only)
  3. scotland66

scotland66 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You can do it quite normally with the iPhone tethered to iPad. Or even better if you know your gonna need internet everywhere, buy a model with 3G and wifi :)
  4. ashley69

ashley69 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't understand this.
    Wouldn't you still need a free wifi hotspot for this to work ?
    I thought all iPads had wifi anyway. I might be wrong (probably)
    Sorry for asking but I am not well up on all this tethering via your mobile.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    ashley69 think of the cell phone acting as a modem allowing the iPad to have internet access wherever you are, as long as you have cellular service that is. There are apps that allow your phone to essentially become a wifi hotspot; so then you fire up your iPad, locate the wifi signal your phone is broadcasting and choose that one to connect to and your surfing the internet. It's nothing new though; there have been apps available for a long time now allowing you to do this. If you have an iPhone it will need to be jailbroken and then get MyWi or PDA Net (there may be others as well). One thing you have to be careful with (especially if you are with AT&T) they are looking for folks doing this and if you are caught you get the option to stop doing it or if you continue they will add tethering to your plan which I believe is about $60 a month. Also if you are grandfathered with unlimited data on your iPhone I believe when they add the tethering you lose it as your plan is being changed. So be careful when doing this.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AaronB.

AaronB. iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When you say buy a 3g model Im assuming that you are talking about a 3g iPad. First received an iPad 2 as a gift. I had no say in which model I wanted to choose. Second if you haven't notice I clearly said that I have an HTC hero with sprint. An Android based phone. No one said anything about tethering with an iPhone because if I had an iPhone I would have done so with ease. Lastly, Why would I pay a monthly fee with the 3 cell phone carriers for some stupid plan when I can clearly once again, tether my phone to it for FREE!!!!!! I digress.
  7. AaronB.

AaronB. iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Okay. All Ipads have wifi. Some ipads have wifi and 3g but you have to pay monthly. iPads that have wifi can only get wifi when they are near a hotspot. I hacked my phone and made it into a wireless hotspot for free. P.S. Tethering is receiving wifi from a mobile device such as a cell phone.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. K1W1

K1W1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Only until you get the bill for the data traffic from your phone provider just like the lady in Florida whose son racked up US$250,000 on a trip to Canada!
  9. AaronB.

AaronB. iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sorry I get unlimited data with sprint
  10. Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    The problem with that is they live in the U.S. and her son (I think it was actually her two brothers who are deaf) were visiting Canada so it falls in line with international roaming. They were surfing the net, email, text messages and the biggest issue was streaming content of some sort. They did reduce the bill but I think it was still in the $2,500 range.

Regardless if it's an android or iphone tethering has been going on for a long time now and it's nothing new. Not sure which carrier you're with but if they catch you tethering, you may see an increase in your bill. They offer tethering plans for this specific purpose; the way they look at it is you hacked your phone to get around the charges and they consider it stealing service so just be careful when doing this.

I have unlimited data with AT&T on my iPhone as well (grandfathered) and I'm not supposed to tether. I know it's silly, I have unlimited data so I should be able to use it however I want (any data package for that matter), but they view tethering differently... probably because they can milk you for some more money.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  11. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    In fact you don't. Sprint will cut you off or charge you if they determine you are "abusing" the network. Furthermore, unless you are paying for tethering that, too, is a violation of your service agreement. And carriers, including Sprint, have begun to look closely at major changes in use patterns on individual accounts to identify precisely that behavior.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I have heard this to be 100% true. I would be very careful if I were you.
  13. Arcsylver

Arcsylver iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sprint charges $29.99 to add wifi hotspot to any phone that supports it. If you get caught using your phone without the additional fee on your plan they reserve the right to disconnect your service without notice for violating your contract agreement.

I have recebtly been researching this very subject heavily trying to find out how to use my phone as a hotspot and Sprint is rather particular about people abusing the unlimited data on phones without getting their extra money for the "privilege"
  14. Trumpet444

Trumpet444 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Been tethering with my Moto Droid 1 for almost two years and havent been dropped yet. Usually people that get into trouble are the ones that spend all day on Netflix or something stupid like that. I keep it simple though, no heavy surfing. I tether to my laptop, nook, or ipad 1. Even though I have an unlimited plan I usually always stay under 5gb a month so I'm never red flagged and there is no way in heck that I'm going to pay $30 extra a month to use the same data I already pay for but on a larger screen
  15. jduncan

jduncan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Same here on my T-Mobile account. As long as I don't abuse it, it's free.
  16. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I certainly share your frustration with regard to data plans on various devices. Any you are undoubtedly correct that if your usage patterns remain consistent once you tether your iPad to a smartphone, you are unlikely to generate attention from your carrier. But those who go that route should keep a couple of points in mind. First, the TOS you signed puts the power to define "abuse" of the network completely in the hands of your carrier. They determine "abuse" and you have no recourse other than to pay an additional fee or take the carrier to court. (Hint: They have more attorneys than you do.)

Second, there is a strong likelihood that you will use more data services when you tether to an iPad or computer than by using your cell phone alone. Although you may simply replace use of one device for the other, it's more likely that you will surf more, download more streaming content, etc. when you have a device that displays the content in a more attractive and accessible manner.

Bottom line is that if you don't increase your use of the cell carrier's network significantly after tethering your iPad, you're unlikely to attract the attention of your carrier. But if you DO attract their attention, the carrier holds all the cards.
  17. Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I remember reading they have set levels and if you go over the levels it raises a red flag they start paying attention to your account. I think for AT&T one user posted it was 2-4 GB's which is a ton of data... at least for me it is (I don't think I've ever gone over 750MB's). Given most folks were using laptops so I think they could tell that it wasn't mobile browsing that was occurring, now sure how it would show up when using an iPad. I have my devices set up with the ability to tether but to be honest I only tried it to see if it worked and have never touched it since; just haven't had the need.
  18. ashley69

ashley69 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks Wookie2cu.
    I am now beginning to understand it more.
    I say this has sparked a lively debate.
  19. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Free? Isn't Sprint's unlimited plan $100/month? Just because you got out of paying for a 2nd plan doesn't mean the data is free! The 2nd car I bought (after my Vega died) was $100 a month. I didn't consider it free everytime I gave someone a ride. :)
  20. jduncan

jduncan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    He means without paying for a second plan, so yes in effect free.