What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 has been submerged in water

babyzaftig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings! I became an Apple Believer in April when I received my IPad 2 as a gift. Loooved it! And then on 7/4/12 my two year-old son dunked it in a bucket of mop water (all-natural/non-chemical cleaner if that makes any difference). We did not, however, know it had happened until several hours later, at which point we immediately place it in a large bag of rice. I tried turning it on at this time, and it showed no activity at all. It did not turn on. We kept it in the bag of rice for about 24 hours and then transferred it to a plastic bin filled with silica gel that we purchased from a craft store to assist in the drying process. We kept it in there for 3-4 days, and then we tried again to start it and connect it to the laptop to try and open it in iTunes in recovery mode. Again, nothing. We put it back in the bin with the desiccating agent where it has remained since. We took it to an Apple store, but they stated they could nothing to help us. I have since been using my husband's iPad (he bought one for himself shortly after I got mine). I really want to get my own iPad back in working order. Any wisdom out there as to how I can accomplish this?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid if you've tried Silica Gel and left it in there sealed for several days then you probably have a fried iPad. There isn't much else you can do AFAIK to resolve the situation. If it was submerged for a while, even in tap water, the chances are its gone for good.
Also, you should always resist the temptation to turn the device on for as long as possible. You certainly shouldn't try before you put it in the rice or silica. You want the water to be removed before the electricity starts flowing again! Unfortunately, because our iPads are almost always "on", they hardly ever get a dunking then they are truly turned off, which gives the best chance of recovery!

All I can suggest is you leave it for a long time in the silica. Check maybe once a week. Good luck!

OP
babyzaftig

babyzaftig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! Yeah, I was already thinking along the same lines. I researched repair services online, and I was considering sending out my iPad to see if the "experts" might be able to salvage it. One such place online is "ifixyouri". I wonder if anyone has any experience with using such a service?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't personally. All I would add is that with your situation (submersion in water for a long period of time), the cost of repair is likely to be high. You may find you are better off saving for a new one! ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts