1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

My iPad 2 has already died!!!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Wicked x Josh, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Wicked x Josh

Wicked x Josh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So after standing in line from 4:30 to 5:30 and then using it for about twenty minutes, I took an hour to drive to my dads and then at around 8:30 I finally got to use it. I was using it for about two hours and then it started to act up.

At first it was a little bit of lag between about a quarter inch on the left side and the rest of the screen. Shutting down all of the multi tasking seemed to have fixed it but about thirty minutes later it got worse, it the left side of the screen and the rest of it were not even showing the same apps or anything. Once this started I got on my Mac and tried restoring it, that didnt help. I decided to restore it again and thats when everything went down hill...

I can't get a photo of the second restore screen because its too dark but its basically just a smear of the restore bar streched across the screen.
    Now that the screen has restore screen has gone away:

[​IMG]

You can see it is the lock screen and I can still unlock it just by kind of feeling for it and it will open. You can still open up apps and stuff but all you can see is the top little screen (what I called the left side earlier).
    Here is a photo with what I think is note pad:

[​IMG]

So as you can see the touch sensors and the actual iOS works fine but the screen is dead.
    So I just figured I would be first to share that the iPad 2 does seem to have a few issues and I plan on giving **** at Apple tomorrow.
  2. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    :(Well, Well Well...
    Tough luck. Seems like a hardware problem.
    Now you have to stand in line once again, to replace it.
    Can happen to any one on any device.:(
  3. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Oh man. I feel your pain. You must be totally disappointed.
  4. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Take it back immediately and tell them u want a completely new n different device. I feel ur pain. Thats a shame but with soo many ipad2 rushed out, there was bound tombe a few bad apples. Don't let them try to tell u they gonna fix it. Say exchange it for a new one or ur money back. PERIOD! Try to go there early so i don't have to be standing in line long. That is messed up though. Seems like a hardware issue cuz that screen looks f$&@$& up. Good luck n post back what apple does to solve ur problem.
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I suspect this isn't going to work but, just in case and before you wait in line at the store.... and, OK, you've probably tried it already - so I apologise in advance...but....

Press and hold the 'Power' and 'Home' button for about 30 seconds - it can seem like a real long time - until the white Apple logo appears - the iPad will then reboot - takes a while, so have patience and - if you're lucky, you'll be back at your Home screen.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you - let us know of your progress - either fixing the problem yourself or how you get on at the Apple store.

Tim
    Scotland
  6. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hard reset won't fix this.
  7. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +460 / 0
    Apple has not RUSHED out the iPad 2

------------------------
    Just a point Apple has not rushed out the ipad2

When you purchase any computer regardless of brand one can have a DOA (dead on arrival). Apple's Quality control is one of the best in the industry with out exceptions. Apple will replace it with a brand new unit no questions asked ok. Yes I feel sorry for the OP. Just take it back straight away and all will be well. Oh one more thing unlike a normal Pc they do not fix they replace.
  8. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I wouldn't even bother with queueing in the regular line: just go straight to any staff member and tell them you have a DOA device.
  9. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I'm sure you're right!! But there's nothing to lose, so I thought it was worth a try......sorry, if I got people's hopes up....

Tim
    Scotland
  10. hey_moe

hey_moe iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ouch, something like that would make me sick to my stomach. I hope all works out for ya...Mike
  11. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I'd be there right now exchanging it. Hopefully the OP has some good news when they post back. Good luck!
  12. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Apple will switch it out in the store no questions. It came out yesterday! They wouldn't even need a receipt to know it's under warranty. Everyone is so used to dealing with places like best buy that they are ready to storm in and give them a piece of your mind if they won't help you....apple replaced my new iPod touch the day after I got it because I accidentally got a big scratch down the screen!! That's not at all covered under their warranty...but they are customer service oriented and rather than have me all pissed that I have a brand new scratched iPod touch they just gave me a new one! They just send the other one back to be refurbished.
  13. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Oh, I'm sure they will switch it out for th OP. You right about other stores though. They give you hassle on returning products most of the time. When I first got my iPad I purchased the keyboard dock also. Returned it to apple store because I didn't like it. No problem there. Then I purchased BT keyboard then returned it because of the limited functionality. I thought I could turn home screen pages with it. No problem returning that either. So Yes, Apple store is definitely customer service oriented. Plus I was amazed how the guy processed my purchase with his iPhone and printed my receipt out on it. Very impressed with that type of tech. I might swing by the apple store today or tomorrow to check out the ipad2 on display. Ill try my hardest not to walk out buying one..lol
    Don't you think 1st wave of new devices are gonna be more prone to bugs and being faulty/DOA? Wouldn't it be better to wait n see what the kinks are?
  14. FatalDesain

FatalDesain iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That looks like a cool background
  15. pastorsteve

pastorsteve iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personal policy - never buy first release, rarely buy first generation. Let the bugs get worked out then. Plus the whole stand in line for something that will be out of date in 3 months, nope. But, that's what warranty's are for. No reason to worry, or fret, they'll get you going unless, of course, it happened while trying to break or modify it.
  16. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    I generally think that but I bought the Ipad 1 one month after it was first shipped. I bought Apple Care juet in case but have never had one problem with it in 11 mos so I might rethink that axiom for Apple products and don't think I would be a bit worried about buying the Ipad 2 even though I'm not buying one for other reasons--mainly that gen 1 is still doing all I need and I'll buy gen 3.
  17. Kenworth

Kenworth iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Damn it..........disappointing after all that.....
  18. Tarkio

Tarkio iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a problem with a new iPod Classic that would constantly lock-up even after hard restarts. I finally took it to the Apple Store and they brought out a new one in the box and replaced it. No questions asked. They apologized like crazy and were extremely nice. They'll do the same for you. That's why it's always best to buy directly from the Apple Store. The staff there is actually trained and will make sure you're happy.

Ipad failures have been very rare. Sometimes the newest ones off the line have more precise quality control than the millions that come later. But overall the iPad 1 was the best problem-free version-one device ever released. I bought mine the first day and it's been flawless for 11-months.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  19. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Is the battery fully charged ... how long after plugging in the a.c. power did you wait 'til you started using it.