What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 Case Round Up: which cases have smart magnetic covers?

What's on your iPad 2?

• My iPad 2 is naked!

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Apple Smart Cover

Votes: 84 63.2%
  • 3rd Party "Dumb Cover"

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 3rd Party Smart Cover.

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Homemade cover.

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Did somebody catch it or did he just throw it and let hit the floor or the wall?

I swear to otter box for all of my iPhones I have owned and plan to get one for my iPad when it comes out. However I was sitting at a table when my iPhone fell from the holster and my screen went white and started flashing. The phone was in the defender case and still broke, but it gave me a reason to get the iPhone 4. I'm guessing it was a fluke and hit the ground at the right angle to mess up the screen.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SueInBoston

iPF Noob
Reaction score

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it is heavy. When the sales rep put the iPad2 in so I could see how it fit, I immediately noticed how HEAVY it was :-(

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Question: with the Smartfit2 clear case, are we able to continue using the smart covers we just purchased??? I love my smartcover but I need a case. I want it all. There's no sense in having the cake if you can't eat it.

iPad_Jedi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also researched on the Dodocase, but they do not have the hole out the back for the built-in camera found in the iPad2. To use the camera function of the iPad2, you would have to take the iPad out of the case.

I saw this other case that looked like the Dodocase, but it has the hole out the back for the iPad2 camera.

The Octavo for iPad2 by Pad&Quill

I did like the design concept for both, but I am not certain I would get either as it does add quite some weight and bulk to the iPad2 which, to me, defeats the purpose of being thinner, lighter than the original iPad.

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
www.grovemade.com
I'm tired now. There are waaayyyy too many to choose from. However, this one seems to come with the smart cover attached!! Ships in 3-6 weeks. Here we go with another long wait! Lol

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If anyone comes across a case for the iPad2 that allows us to use the neat smart cover PLEASE post. I really like my smart cover and I like how it puts the pad to sleep :))

Thanks!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did like the design concept for both, but I am not certain I would get either as it does add quite some weight and bulk to the iPad2 which, to me, defeats the purpose of being thinner, lighter than the original iPad.

Agreed - if someone designs a case for iPad 2 and doesn't include the rear camera port, that's an instant design fail for me. It diminishes the device's functionality, and making the user remove the device each time just to use the camera increases the opportunity of accidents and damage.

If you're considering a Moleskine-style book-bound case, the style of the case will add to the bulk and weight of the overall package. These cases are designed for more style and protection, rather than weight-saving or sleekness. A book-bound case will add about 400g, so with the iPad's 600g weight, it adds up to an even 1kg.

Personally, as a very satisfied user, I would recommend Treegloo as their workmanship, customization options and material are generally of a superior quality. As you mentioned, Pad and Quill also offer a similar case (the Octavo for iPad 2) but they use "bonded leather", which to me is a cheaper (and inferior) material to the high-grade vinyl texture used by Treegloo. (cf. Bonded leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

As for DodoCase, it has had a long series of problems with the durability of its frames and corner pads, which results in devices falling out of their frames (Google for "DodoCase iPad falls out" and watch the videos.) That, plus no rear camera port, of course.

Last edited:

iPad_Jedi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Agreed - if someone designs a case for iPad 2 and doesn't include the rear camera port, that's an instant design fail for me. It diminishes the device's functionality, and making the user remove the device each time just to use the camera increases the opportunity of accidents and damage.

If you're considering a Moleskine-style book-bound case, the style of the case will add to the bulk and weight of the overall package. These cases are designed for more style and protection, rather than weight-saving or sleekness. A book-bound case will add about 400g, so with the iPad's 600g weight, it adds up to an even 1kg.

Personally, as a very satisfied user, I would recommend Treegloo as their workmanship, customization options and material are generally of a superior quality. As you mentioned, Pad and Quill also offer a similar case (the Octavo for iPad 2) but they use "bonded leather", which to me is a cheaper (and inferior) material to the high-grade vinyl texture used by Treegloo. (cf. Bonded leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

As for DodoCase, it has had a long series of problems with the durability of its frames and corner pads, which results in devices falling out of their frames (Google for "DodoCase iPad falls out" and watch the videos.) That, plus no rear camera port, of course.

The Treegloo looks interesting. Can it be used in conjuction with protection skins like the Body Guardz Full Body kit? Will the fit be too snug such that the when the iPad is repeatedly taken in and out of the Treegloo case, it will cause the invisible clear protection skin to rub/peel off? From the pictures, there does not seem to be any kind of elastic band to hold the cover in place, does it? Also, I am assuming it does not have any magnets to make the cover act like a smart cover?

Thanks if you can clarify these questions.

Last edited:

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok. I'm going to check out the Treeglo, do you know if I can still use the smartcase? I really love my smartcase.

Most reactions

Latest posts