What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 Case Round Up: which cases have smart magnetic covers?

What's on your iPad 2?

• My iPad 2 is naked!

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Apple Smart Cover

Votes: 84 63.2%
  • 3rd Party "Dumb Cover"

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 3rd Party Smart Cover.

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Homemade cover.

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

thetaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SmartFit2 Clear for iPad 2 Here a nice case for smart cover users.

front_7.jpg

SmartFit2 Clear for iPad 2 - iPad / iPhone Protection - Products

Thanks! This is just the type of case I was looking for and it will work with my smart cover. :D

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Treegloo have just posted on their Facebook that their Moleskine-style iPad2 covers are up and ready for ordering:

"All cases will come standard with the sleep/wake function, and the camera port will be optional. Orders are open and start shipping next week! For any questions, please free free to email us at [email protected]."

47.jpg

Portenzo and Pad and Quill have also started offering their Moelskine-style cases as well, also with optional camera port and magnetic activation, but all other factors (e.g. workmanship, customer service, etc) being equal, Treegloo seems to be coming in with the best price and most options.

cf.
Treegloo Products - Customizable, Durable, Eco-friendly Cases | Made by Hand in the USA
Portenzo - Hand made iPad cases
Artisan Book Cases for Your Touch-Enabled and eReader Devices by Pad & Quill

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
swaggapad said:
I picked up this Targus case from Best Buy...so far so good..

What surprises me is how much some of these mass-market, overseas-made items sometimes cost; for the same price or just a little more, one could get a made-to-order US-handmade case with superior workmanship (not that there's anything wrong with Targud, Belkin, Ecoware, etc.)

Splinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SmartFit2 Clear for iPad 2 Here a nice case for smart cover users.

front_7.jpg

SmartFit2 Clear for iPad 2 - iPad / iPhone Protection - Products

Thanks! This is just the type of case I was looking for and it will work with my smart cover. :D

I ordered one of these over the weekend, and I guess a bunch of other people did too, because they moved the ship date from April1 to April14, due to the high demand. They're throwing in some type of Prizm screen protector for my patience, not that I'll use it.

Right now, I have some very thin leather case from Best Buy, and I hate it. I think it's the Griffin? brand. I don't care for how flimsy the cover is. I'll be taking it back and getting a smart cover (again) to use with the clear cover.

7000ft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, i just saw that as well. Anyone seen any other shells that work with the smartcover? Besides the malware and xgear?

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
swaggapad said:
I picked up this Targus case from Best Buy...so far so good..

What surprises me is how much some of these mass-market, overseas-made items sometimes cost; for the same price or just a little more, one could get a made-to-order US-handmade case with superior workmanship (not that there's anything wrong with Targud, Belkin, Ecoware, etc.)

Which company makes a US handmade version of the Smart Cover? How much is it?

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
allen said:
I m leaning toward to the grove case, anyone has experience with their products?

Both the grove company and I are from Portland, OR and they sent a bunch of people to the ipad2 launch at the apple store. They have beautiful designs however, I found the surface to be a bit on the rough side especially with the carved designs. Personally, I'm going with either a polycarbonate shell or a leather case.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get a macally BS2 and added 39 cents magnet with $2 double scotch tape...total $29.39:)

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Targus VuScape Cover/case converts to stand

I'm using the Targus VuScape cover and I like it. It covers the back and kindof latches over the front. Not magnetic but I like that the cover doesn't just swing open freely. The latch mechanism itself leaves a bit to be desired, it doesn't always stay shut but it is one of the best cases on the market at the moment, and reasonable at $40 from BestBuy.

I picked up this case today. I wanted the Apple Smart Cover ... not in stock today at Best Buy. Saw this one ... liked the back and corner protection as well as screen. Folds nicely to provide three convenient viewing angles ... 105, 60 and 20 degrees... Well made and fits perfect. Ipad2 can be easily removed entirely if desired. So far we like very much. Would like the magnetic on/off feature however.

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the Targus VuScape cover and I like it. It covers the back and kindof latches over the front. Not magnetic but I like that the cover doesn't just swing open freely. The latch mechanism itself leaves a bit to be desired, it doesn't always stay shut but it is one of the best cases on the market at the moment, and reasonable at $40 from BestBuy.

I picked up this case today. I wanted the Apple Smart Cover ... not in stock today at Best Buy. Saw this one ... liked the back and corner protection as well as screen. Folds nicely to provide three convenient viewing angles ... 105, 60 and 20 degrees... Well made and fits perfect. Ipad2 can be easily removed entirely if desired. So far we like very much. Would like the magnetic on/off feature however.

I ended up ordering Joy Factory's Folio360 II for the iPad 2. Similar to the Targus but the Folio360 II does utilize the magnetic on/off feature. It also easily separates from the folio while retaining a protective back cover! Unfortunately... The Folio360 II is not available until the end of April. Oh well, my iPad 2 won't be delivered until April 21st. :eek:

Here's a link for those interested in more info...
Folio360 II For iPad 2 - iPad 2 Accessories - Pages

Here's a video of the product in action...
[ame="http://vimeo.com/18552574"]CES 2011 - iPad mounts to bring you joy on Vimeo[/ame]

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a plain black plastic case for ten dollars on eBay. I cut the area around the side the smart cover would go and it works great. I now have invisible shield on the entire iPad, the smart cover and the black cover for the back. It was so cheap I didn't care if I messed it up. Took two mins to cut it with a razor knife and put it on. Will upload pics later. I think it is a better alternative to the marware case that has not shipped yet if you are impatient like me. If you need any help feel free to post.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Which company makes a US handmade version of the Smart Cover? How much is it?

I don't know, but if you read what I wrote carefully, then I wasn't referring to the smart cover but rather third-party vendors.

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pre-ordered the XGear's Smart Cover Enhancer in clear. It said it should ship on 04/04/2011. I paid with PayPal BillMeLater and got $10 off my order and don't have to have it paid off till October. I only paid that way to get the $10 off and ended up getting it for $31 with shipping. I will let you guys know how I like it once my iPad 2 comes next month :)

Thanks,
xavier

PS if you haven't checked out BillMeLater before give it a look. My wife and I use it mainly to buy more expensive stuff like my new iPad 2 which we got 6 months no payments no interest. Nothing like getting new toys and paying for them later :)

Most reactions

Latest posts