my ipad 1st generation doesn't charge anymore.

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by undercover0, Jan 11, 2016.

1. undercover0

undercover0
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    my ipad 1st generation doesn't charge anymore.

I tried two different cable, in the wall and in the computer.

The only thing happen when I try to start the ipad is the need to charge screen, the cable with a little lightnight bolt.

Thanks !

2. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Check the charge port on the bottom of the iPad for dirt and corrosion. Other than that, being a first gen ipad, replacement would be advised over repair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If there's no apparent problem with the charging port on the iPad, it's possible that the battery is worn out. The battery on an iPad 1 can be close to 6 years old, depending on when the iPad was purchased. I agree that the cost of repairing an iPad 1 is uneconomical and that a replacement should be considered.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As already stated, you should simply upgrade to a more recent iPad model rather than trying to revive an antique - Apple charges $99 (+ S/H) to replace the battery - that money would be better invested in a newer model.

Now, you can evaluate battery health in several ways - the two that I've used on my nearly year and a half old iPad Air 2 is Battery Health (available in the iPad App Store) & Coconut Battery, an app on my laptop which can check the iPad's battery health once the device is plugged into a USB port - below are screen captures from both of these assessments - my iPad's battery is rated as having 84% health (i.e. present charging capacity compared to its condition when new) and 232 cycles - batteries for these iDevices will typically reached about 80% nearing 500 cycles - I suspect that if you test your iPad 1 battery, these numbers will be poor.

Finally, there are plenty of DIY iPad guides at iFixit, including battery replacements in these devices - cost might be half for the new battery and other equipment needed to do the 'teardown', BUT these are difficult procedures and time consuming, probably not something I would do. Good luck and let us know the condition of that battery if you obtain one of the apps above - Dave
    IMG_4822.PNG Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.35.01 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. undercover0

undercover0
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey,
    my port seems clean.

So you guys think is the battery and not the port itselft ?

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It could be either a defective charging port or a defective battery. It would take a diagnostic to determine which. Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free.

7. undercover0

undercover0
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I'm pretty far from a apple store. Basically, I'm far from everything.

But I could buy a new battery and charger port.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello again - did you read my post suggesting that you assess your 'battery health' w/ one of several methods mentioned? Might just help us respond to your needs.

Second, are you planning to replace your battery yourself? I gave you a link to iFixit for a DIY guide but not an easy or guaranteed fix if you're not handy or experienced.

As I suggested previously, you may be better off planning for a more recent iPad model. Dave :)

9. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    If you do decide to go the diy route for battery replacement. Back up any data you want to keep first. Prepare yourself for a hell of a time getting the screen out and you will need a torx head screwdriver set to remove the screws.

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, be prepared to purchase a new screen if you break the original while trying to remove it.