My ipad 1, apps like Safari, iTunes, iMusic, ESPN Sports simply close off the screen.

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by beetheking96, Nov 5, 2012.

1. beetheking96

beetheking96 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does ANYONE have a fix? Its very frustrating. Help!!!!!!!!!
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,867 / 0
    The iPad1 is very limited on RAM. As a result, it tends to "crash" (go to the homescreen) more often than the newer generations of iPad. It's a great product/workhorse still, but oftentimes it helps to shut everything down and restart or reset it. To do all that (apologies if you know):

Fully Close an App: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Then...
    Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

See if any/all of that helps your iPad1 "behave" better. Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Marilyn
  3. sarmak

sarmak iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,
    I have been having a similar problem with my iPad 1 since I last updated the software. Safari quite frequently shuts down. I have tried fully closing all the apps and restarting with no improvement.
    Please help :)
    Sarah
  4. brittany16950

brittany16950 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My iPad 1 also crashes. Mostly Facebook, productivity apps like neu annotate PDF, and games like Blendamaze. I restart, play the game in Safe Mode, and quit all apps in the Switcher, and I still get crashes, especially if I'm trying to handle a 6-7 mb document. Any new ideas are appreciated.
  5. Roy Rob

Roy Rob iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140 / 0
    Try clearing your Safari data and cookies. To do so go to Settings>Safari>Clear Cookies and Data. Afterwards you may have to re-enter your UN and PW for any sites that need them. Hope this helps.
  6. brittany16950

brittany16950 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh, I didn't think of that one. Good thinking, Roy.