What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My future tablet

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks pretty smooth. But I'll still go with the iPad. Just for the quality of apple.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard good things about this on my Crackberry site! Now that was pretty cool, that they can minimize on there ~ they also had the movie playing, and other screens right next to it!

Pretty cool.

But ~

I simply love my iPad!

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a real multi-task, with Flash and HDMI.
But I don't like the size. I preferred much more the iPAD size or the Motorola one.
And did you notice, they don't want to talk about the Battery life. Probably for a good reason. The iPAD by far exceeds any other Tablet.

David Vice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea the iPads battery life is what still amazes me. In the end that's what is gonna separate the competitors.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad has very good battery life, but it's not some kind of programming magic or super special low power hardware, it just has a physically HUGE battery.

The Blackberry tablet does look cool, but I'll pass on it simply because it's not going to have has many app choices as the iPad or any of the Android tabs.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, at only 100 grams they cant have much of a battery, that is for sure. There is a reason the iPad weighs 1.5 lbs.

It is interesting that in a survey taken of iPad owners the number one thing people said they liked was the battery life. As SJ said, you can't really call it wireless if the battery has to be plugged in to an outlet all day long :)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Worth waiting a month to see if the iPad2 can do the same and thereby save all the money you have invested in apps.

It's the software that's important and what you can do with it.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, at only 100 grams they cant have much of a battery, that is for sure. There is a reason the iPad weighs 1.5 lbs.

It is interesting that in a survey taken of iPad owners the number one thing people said they liked was the battery life. As SJ said, you can't really call it wireless if the battery has to be plugged in to an outlet all day long :)

The iPad battery is 6600mAh, compared to 4000mAh in the Galaxy Tab. It's a BIG battery.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Programming magic and low power hardware are part of the equation.

It's approximately 50% bigger, but the tablet is also proportionately 50% bigger.

However, the Galaxy Tab isn't on par with the iPad's battery life. The iPad is double the life, while only being 50% larger and heavier. That's significant.

One example of how efficient the iPad's power consumption is compared to a similar screen sized tablet; the Netbook Navigator has a 8.9" lower resolution and dimmer display, and it weighs a half a pound more than the iPad. It should have better battery life, based on weight, smaller screen size, and lower brightness/resolution. The Navigator's battery lasts a paltry 2 hours and 25 minutes. Less than a quarter of the iPad.

mAh isn't the whole story. Apple's A4 processor is optimized not only for the OS, but for less battery consumption. And then there is all the engineering and programming in between. So it does have programming magic and low power hardware after all. ;)

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The iPad battery is 6600mAh, compared to 4000mAh in the Galaxy Tab. It's a BIG battery.

That is How much every individual iPad component weigh:
  1. Aluminum back 138 grams
  2. Battery 148 grams
  3. LCD 153 grams
  4. Glass (and frame) 193 grams
  5. Speaker: 17 grams
  6. Main board: 21 grams
  7. Everything else: 27 grams

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery life is a HUGE draw for me. Well said that a device isn't truly wireless if you have to plug in every few hours. iPad is the only portable computer I've had that I use unplugged exclusively. Add in access to all the apps that are useful, as well as ones that are just plain fun, & ability to surf the internet make it all over what rocks for me.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to remember though that one of the advantages of the iPAD, is that it doesn't have multi-tasking. So you don't leave in the background something that is running the processor and the memory, and force power leak.
With all these new tablets running video in the background, the battery wouldn't hold for long.
I personalty prefer long battery life, with no "true" multi-task

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With my ipad used i have noticed that most of the time I use it while it is connected to the charger and so the battery life will not bother me so much. The reason why I am getting excited with playbook is that it can play flash games, it still looks like a smooth user experience and has no iTunes. I am also hoping that playbook will be truly a tablet computer with ability to connect my mp3 players, hard drives, cameras and other USB devices. Maybe if iPad 2 will allow connecting through USB then I might consider not getting the playbook. But flash games and no iTunes sounds really tempting.

Most reactions

Latest posts