What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My DVD's to use on IPad4

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been reading up on converting the DVD's I have bought to use on my iPad when I am away. With the 64Gb, I can get quite a few on there, but converting them to my Windows 7 64bit and then onto my iPad is not very clear. I am not technically minded but have read about 'Handbreak' as a free software aand tried once, without success.

My questions are,(1) am I more likely to get better copies by buying a commercial conversion software rather than use a free software or will the quality be just as good with Handbrake. The (2) will the process of conversion be simplified with a purchased software?

Alex

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can try the free app vlc streaming but because its the free version you cannot put the movies to the ipad however you can streaming them right away and convert them to several options of resolutions and watch the result and if you like the conversion result just pay for full version 2-3 dollars then you can install those movies to the ipad well you got nothing to lose except your time by trying it :ipad-movie:

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ideally I would like to copy all my DVD's to my PC for storage and then transfer, whatever I wish, at various times, to my iPad4. Not being technically minded, I need something that will work without any hassle. I have VLC, but don't really understand what it does and only downloaded it when something I wanted to watch suggested it.

If I do go for a bought product, what would be best with Windows 7 64bit PC

Alex

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you have humongous collection of dvds and or blurays can try dvd fab software and only buy for each function for about 40dollar each or buy whole bundle for 300dollar i only have the dvd to dvd function though and work great :thumbs:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just used Handbrake on my Windows 7 64bit PC to copy a DVD. Just a mess result, so either I'm doing something wrong or there s a problem with handbrake and 64bit PC's
Alex

We have a supporting vendor here who sells his Windows program for $10. DVD Catalyst. Easy to use. He has his own subforum here.

Last edited:

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have a Seagate Goflex drive and I use handbrake to covert my movies and stream it to not only my Ipad, but to my Iphone as well, you can stream up to 3 devices simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hadn't realised that to do this I need to download the DVD's to my PC first using a dycrypter. THEN use handbrake to convert them again. I do wish the 'experts' would make things a bit clearer to idiots like me and not assume that we all know what to do. I will try again.

Alex

Jackerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google some tutorials for Handbrake, that's easy to use. Course there are so many other options on google if you dont mind spending money, [Moderator Edit: No external links.] Before you decide to buy a program, you had better try the free trial version to see if it really works.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Jackerry, I will keep searching. I did manage to copy the film using DVD Decrypter and the copy was just as good as the original. I now need to figure out how to get this copy onto the new iPad4. I have downloaded handbrake, but am trying to find instructions for the copy, using mu PC with Windows 7 64bit. There seems to be loads of info on copying using Mac and windows XP but not yet found one that uses my set up and it may be different. There must be loads of people who have their own DVD's and have no intention of breaking the law, just doing it for their own use. Pity Apple dos not help out with instructions. I don't mind spending some money if I can get the right thing that will give quality on the iPad.

Alex

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Jackerry, I will keep searching. I did manage to copy the film using DVD Decrypter and the copy was just as good as the original. I now need to figure out how to get this copy onto the new iPad4. I have downloaded handbrake, but am trying to find instructions for the copy, using mu PC with Windows 7 64bit. There seems to be loads of info on copying using Mac and windows XP but not yet found one that uses my set up and it may be different. There must be loads of people who have their own DVD's and have no intention of breaking the law, just doing it for their own use. Pity Apple dos not help out with instructions. I don't mind spending some money if I can get the right thing that will give quality on the iPad.

Alex

I pointed you to DVD Catalyst....it will prompt you to connect your iPad at the end and will do the transfer for you....and it only cost $10 (50% off from $20). You have to remove encryption yourself.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Think I understand ?? So .................... if the DVD Decrypter gets them onto the PC and I can watch them on my PC, Handbrake should do the rest?

Does it actually move the film to the iPad, or into iTunes or iCloud and do I need to do anything in iTunes or iCloud to accommodate that?

Alex

Last edited:
OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC

Now i have had time to review various items and consider what's what, I did download DVD Catalyst. I did it this afternoon and must say that the layout and screens were very clear and the instructions that accompanied the software are precise and easy to follow for a duffer like me.

I followed the instructions and loaded a film I had bought probably a couple of years ago ..................... Waterworld. It showed up as being 2hours 9 mins and 39 secs long and took just 25 mins to finish recording and kick out the DVD.

I then dragged it from 'My Videos' into iTunes and then connected my IPad and synced the PC and iPad.

I am very pleased with the superb quality and sound, which is as good as the original DVD played on the TV and can't thank you enough for suggesting this software.

At a price of £6-76, it's a real bargain.

Thanks for the advice,

Alex

Last edited:

russ331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the following to rip DVDs to a format suitable for my iPad...

1 Aiseesoft Total Media Converter Platinum
2 DVD Catalyst4
3 Freemake
4 Handbrake
5 WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
6 WinX Bluray DVD iPad Ripper

1, 5 & 6 were obtained for free, while on offer during public holidays.

Of them all, I much prefer DVD Catalyst4. Intuitive interface, so easy to use, excellent choice of preset profiles for iPad, high quality rips, quick in use, outstanding value for money.

I think you've made the right choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Russ, I have been pleased with the copies and quality of sound. Had one hickup in tryi ng to copy a film 'The Guardian', and after several attempts I gave up with that one. I believe that here may b a few that have higher protection and it's not always possible, but I accept that.

Alex

Most reactions

Latest posts