My convo with an Apple Expert re:3g Pre Orders /ship dates

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Corey, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Bottom line, Monday the 19th the date of delivery was May 7th. So if you ordered that day you knew to not expect it until May 7th.

2. Corey

Corey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

You must have missed my reply above.

No, I did not know to expect it until May 7th. No where on the Apple site did it say May 7th. It never said May 7th at any point when I was ordering. May 7th was never even mentioned until I got a 2nd email from Apple that evening.

Had it actually said May 7th when I placed the pre order I would have understood.

3. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    You still don't seem to understand that thousands of other people pre-ordered theirs before you...you really think apple can guarantee all pre-orders arrive on the first day?? There is a limit to how quickly they can be produced.

You should have pre-ordered a few weeks earlier and you wouldn't be in is situation.

4. Corey

Corey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely I understand that thousands ordered before me and they should get theirs way before I do. That has never been an issue for me and would be silly if it was.

If you read my original post you will see that I do not understand how Apple could take pre orders but then not deliver a preorder until a full week after the store receives the item. Again, it fails to be a preorder and is just an online order at that point. I totally agree that there is a limit as to how many can be produced but again, that was never communicated anywhere when I ordered.

True that I should have ordered sooner but I also do not consider myself to be ‘in a situation’. I will get an ipad either way, it is just a matter of when and the principal of it all.

5. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I understand your point, but I think that is because they will have mostly reserved units in the store and the few first come first serve units are to accommodate cash buyers that can't have pre-ordered...all seems fair to me.

As was said you could always just cancel your order and test your luck at a store.

6. kravdog

kravdog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Smarter yet... Don't cancel your order, but still try your luck at a store... Then, you can always return your ipad to apple (no restocking fee if you dont open it) or sell it on fleabay...

7. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Also true

8. Tucker

Tucker
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    quite bitching Corey. you ordered yours on Monday. Many of us order ours 39 days ago.

your act of pre-order is saving your place in the queue of the next batch of ipads. for all you know, yours could be number 1 in the next bacth. it makes perfect sense.

but still, you have no room to bitch

9. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:

For the record the online store is a seperate sales channel for customers whom do not want or cannot go to a retail store. You are garanteed delivery whereas if you stand in line you may not be lucky The retail stores and other resellers that sell Apple order direct if that makes sense And it depends what stock is available generally for new products all retail stores are allocated set numbers only to spread it out so the chance of running out is higher
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Corey

Corey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't that be quit bitching and not quite bitching? :)