What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mute or Rotation Lock?

Which did you choose for your switch in with the advent of iOS 4.3?

• Make mine a rotation lock.

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • Make mine a mute switch.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I don't know and/or I don't care.

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With iOS 4.3 we now have the choice to either set our iPad's switch that was originally a rotation lock, and then became a mute switch, to the one we prefer. Which will it be for you?

Slygrin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would prefer a true mute button that would mute all sounds, not just the system sounds. It is fairly useless as it is now because it doesn't mute everything.

arci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for rotation lock as i sometimes used it in bed..for reading..

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rotation lock. Easy enough to just turn the volume all the way down. I'll mostly leave it that way and just turn it up when watching a video or playing a game or something else that has sound.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't lock rotation much.

I do take my iPad into the theater for pre-movie entertainment (never have it on during the previews, let alone the show). A one click switch to make sure it doesn't beep during the movie works for me.

dugbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I make it a rotation lock, I suddenly wish I could silence a game. When I make it mute, I get annoyed with rotation lock.

Ultimately I trained myself to HOLD DOWN the volume rocker which goes mute instantly, and so I use the rotation lock pref.

Reaction score
When I make it a rotation lock, I suddenly wish I could silence a game. When I make it mute, I get annoyed with rotation lock.

Ultimately I trained myself to HOLD DOWN the volume rocker which goes mute instantly, and so I use the rotation lock pref.

That is great to know.
Thank you

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

That is great to know.
Thank you

Holding down the volume button is the only true mute anyway. The mute switch only turns off notification and system sounds. Most games and music apps are unaffected. It was meant as a business meeting or stalker kind of mute switch.

HowardBrazee

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Why doesn't the button right next to it, the volume control work when you wish to silence a game?

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, I thought the idea of the rotation lock was silly, but then I realized that the mute button does not mute everything, so.........I tried it as a rotation lock and decided I like it better that way after all!

SusiBiker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, I thought the idea of the rotation lock was silly, but then I realized that the mute button does not mute everything, so.........I tried it as a rotation lock and decided I like it better that way after all!

Agree 100%
Tried it both ways. Rotation lock is much better than having to double-click on the button, swipe to the right, and select "lock" on the bar, then click the button or screen to hide the bar. Reverse, to unlock, etc.

Personally, not a Steve fan as he doesn't usually change his mind (Flash), but kudos to the fella or his team for going back on this one. Both camps are happy now. Well done Steve. Hope you get better soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts