What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MUTE button & Volume buttons

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, I never used lock switch for orientation and for me it makes more sense to be a mute switch but here is my issue. Holding down on the volume down switch also mutes which is something I thought Apple were against - 2 buttons almost next to each other doing the same thing? If I have the volume up high and want to lower it and not mute it, I would prefer to just hold down until I reach the desired volume instead of having to tap down a few times.
My final issue is with Mute only being a system mute. I wish it muted all sounds from the iPad and not just the delivered system sounds.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah, we all wish it was like that.

I wish it muted all sounds from the iPad and not just the delivered system sounds.

or better yet,

restore it back to the lock orientation.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real mute is to hold the volume down for about 0.5-1.0 second, it goes straight to zero volume.
You can't go back to the pre-mute volume level though, you have to press volume up until it goes back to where you want it to be.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The purpose of the switch is to mute system sounds. That way when you are watching a video, or listening to music or something else like that, you don't have to listen to the clicks and taps and beeps from the keyboard and system notifications. I really like it, I leave it on the switch mute most of the time.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when your watching a movie on the ipad, what sounds are made?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Push notifications sometimes make sounds.

Now when I'm listening to music, and browsing the web, I can have the music turned up without have to hear clicks and the keyboard sounds. It's nice.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh true!

but, i'd rather have mute in the multitasking bar and lock the way it used to be.

:D

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well when u need to mute it is often needed quickly... It's not just for watching a movie.

If I go into a meeting and the damned trumpet sound from a Game Center friend request goes off I really want the thing to shut up NOW.

But I also would like to get rid of the stupid mute on the volume rocker. Most times when that triggers a mute it is not what I wanted... I only wanted to hold it down to lower to, say, half volume. But that thing kicks in and... wham... completely muted.

Last edited:

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they leave the mute switch, I wish it was to mute EVERYTHING. That's the only way I'll be able to get use to it.

but if they leave it, i'll get used to it sooner or later lol. :p

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They already have a full mute button right below it. Use this button when you are listenng to music or playing a game or something and don't want to hear annoying clicks and stuff.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well when u need to mute it is often needed quickly... It's not just for watching a movie.

If I go into a meeting and the damned trumpet sound from a Game Center friend request goes off I really want the thing to shut up NOW.

But I also would like to get rid of the stupid mute on the volume rocker. Most times when that triggers a mute it is not what I wanted... I only wanted to hold it down to lower to, say, half volume. But that thing kicks in and... wham... completely muted.

That sums up my thoughts 100%.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They already have a full mute button right below it. Use this button when you are listenng to music or playing a game or something and don't want to hear annoying clicks and stuff.

why have 2 things that do the same thing is what i'm trying to find out...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's NOT the same thing.

The volume rocker switch adjusts TOTAL volume, including games, system sounds, music, and movies.

The mute switch mutes ONLY system sounds so you can listen to music and movies without having to hear clicks, taps, and beeps.

Most reactions

Latest posts