What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mute button problem

garyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad original (4.3). I am very new at this, too. Somehow the mute button is checked. I have reset this thing three times. It says to use the 'side switch' but there is no side switch. I can hear movies and music but I can not hear downloaded aps. I have called the 'geek squad' but they can't help. I have gone into 'setting' but that didn't work either. I have also made sure the mute switch is in the correct position. I am ready to toss this and go back to my computer. Do I need to buy a new iPad? I appreciate what ever help is out there. Thanks in advance.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you hold your iPad in portrait, with the round home button at the bottom, you should have two buttons at the top on the right hand side, yes?

It may be worth your while downloading the "iPad User Guide for iOS X" where X is either 4 or 5 depending on your operating system, it's very detailed, easy to use, searchable and best of all, it's free.

The Archangel

OP
G

garyman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
When you hold your iPad in portrait, with the round home button at the bottom, you should have two buttons at the top on the right hand side, yes?

It may be worth your while downloading the "iPad User Guide for iOS X" where X is either 4 or 5 depending on your operating system, it's very detailed, easy to use, searchable and best of all, it's free.

The Archangel

Thanks for such a quick response! I pushed the top button and pressed on the bottom button. I can see that it changes wether the pad will allow sound. I went to "settings" and I show that mute has a check by it. I again pressed the buttons you mentioned and the mute will not un-check. When I first purchased the ipad, I downloaded the guide. I first looked there and came to what you mentioned. Still no luck in getting my aps to have sound. I would go to an apple store and have them look at it, but I am disabled and going anywhere is difficult. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
garyman said:
Thanks for such a quick response! I pushed the top button and pressed on the bottom button. I can see that it changes wether the pad will allow sound. I went to "settings" and I show that mute has a check by it. I again pressed the buttons you mentioned and the mute will not un-check. When I first purchased the ipad, I downloaded the guide. I first looked there and came to what you mentioned. Still no luck in getting my aps to have sound. I would go to an apple store and have them look at it, but I am disabled and going anywhere is difficult. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Try double pressing your home button, this will bring up a bar at the bottom of your screen with various apps and controls (it may slide left/right, I honestly can't recall if it did that under iOS 4.x.x) but I seem to recall there was a mute control in there.

When you are done, press the mute button once.

The Archangel

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You say you pushed the top button, then pushed the bottom button. At the risk of being cheeky, the side switch is on the SIDE. It is just above the volume up and volume down buttons. It is a physical switch which you slide up and down. It has a very definite movement. It doesn't sound from your description that you are looking at the right thing...

Most reactions

Latest posts