What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mute button not working?

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the screenlock/mute button on 4.2.1?

On my first iPad it did nothing, meaning that it would show the volume mute icon when activated, but the sound kept playing. Now after getting my iPad replaced (not related to this) the mute button still has no effect.

Is the button completely broken in 4.2.1?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In app sounds like games, video, and music are not affected. It is there to let you easily silence any notifications or alarms.

You know, incase you are in a meeting, the theater, or stalking your ex-girlfriend.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I leave the iPad by my bed at night (sad, I know) and it's useful to suppress the sound of new emails arriving (which happens even if the iPad is in Sleep mode and you've selected to check for emails every 15 minutes).

As Twerppoet says, it simply suppresses 'system' sounds. So, you can use it if you're listening to a video or music and don't want them to be 'interrupted' by the sound of new email arriving or other 'system events'.

If you really want to fully mute your iPad you have to hold the volume control down for a couple of seconds.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts