Must I enter Apple ID during reset

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by golddust34, Apr 2, 2014.

1. golddust34

golddust34
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If a person is going to pass on an iPad to a new owner, can the Apple ID wait to be set up or must it be entered during the reset after erasing process?

2. abababababab

abababababab
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    It can wait, but then you won't be enjoying most features of the amazing iPad.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You must enter your Apple ID during the erase/restore process. The new owner may wait as long as they like before signing up and/or entering their own Apple ID; though as abababababab said they will be missing some features until they do.

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the iPhone equivalent of the screen you'll see when required to enter your Apple ID and password.

image-826596514.jpg

5. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to add:

If you are buying a used iDevice from someone, you do NOT want to see this picture. When it says "This [iDevice] is currently linked to an AppleID..." - it means the previous owner has not removed the device from his/her account.

Therefore, you will never be able to put in your AppleID and/or restore the device.

So, if selling the device, ensure you sign out of AppleID and Find My iPad/iPhone. If you're buying, just check in settings to ensure there is no AppleID.

Sorry for using your pic like this, scifan, I just thought its a perfect one to show what you do not want to see when buying a used device. :)

Marilyn

EDIT TO ADD: As an owner who is selling the device, when prompted to enter your AppleID, don't; skip the step to leave it blank. That way, the buyer won't get this screen (they'll get one similar, but it won't be linked w/your account)

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem, Marilyn. If it will prevent someone from buying a bricked device, all to the good.

7. Thomasp

Thomasp
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you skip the screen where it asks to chose your apple user name and password, i understand it says you will lose some abilities.
    How would you do it at a later date?
    My daughter has not properly set up an e mail address ( She is in the process of changing providers) and will want to do it later.
    Also can you change your user ID ?

8. abababababab

abababababab
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    You can Log-in to your Apple ID by entering your Apple ID and password from Settings > iTunes and App Store.

To change your Apple ID, tap on your account from Settings > iTunes and App Store and select Log out. Perform the above steps to log in into a new ID again.

Note that you cannot be logged in to 2 Apple IDs in the same device simultaneously.

9. Thomasp

Thomasp
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you so much. Great information
    I was wondering if its possible to change a user name though having set it up

10. abababababab

abababababab
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Username can be changed, but if you want to keep the email notifications about Apple going to the same e-mail address, its not possible. You can only change your Apple ID username, while also changing the e-mail address linked to your Apple Account.

Here is the website from where you can change your Apple ID : https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/directToSignIn?localang=en_US

Here are the steps. Please note that I have already selected 'manage my account', you need to login on that page with your existing Apple ID : Apple ID: Changing your Apple ID