What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Must I enter Apple ID during reset

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If a person is going to pass on an iPad to a new owner, can the Apple ID wait to be set up or must it be entered during the reset after erasing process?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You must enter your Apple ID during the erase/restore process. The new owner may wait as long as they like before signing up and/or entering their own Apple ID; though as abababababab said they will be missing some features until they do.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the iPhone equivalent of the screen you'll see when required to enter your Apple ID and password.

image-826596514.jpg

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the iPhone equivalent of the screen you'll see when required to enter your Apple ID and password.

View attachment 55027

Just to add:

If you are buying a used iDevice from someone, you do NOT want to see this picture. When it says "This [iDevice] is currently linked to an AppleID..." - it means the previous owner has not removed the device from his/her account.

Therefore, you will never be able to put in your AppleID and/or restore the device.

So, if selling the device, ensure you sign out of AppleID and Find My iPad/iPhone. If you're buying, just check in settings to ensure there is no AppleID.

Sorry for using your pic like this, scifan, I just thought its a perfect one to show what you do not want to see when buying a used device. :)

Marilyn

EDIT TO ADD: As an owner who is selling the device, when prompted to enter your AppleID, don't; skip the step to leave it blank. That way, the buyer won't get this screen (they'll get one similar, but it won't be linked w/your account)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
…Sorry for using your pic like this, scifan, I just thought its a perfect one to show what you do not want to see when buying a used device …

No problem, Marilyn. If it will prevent someone from buying a bricked device, all to the good.

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you skip the screen where it asks to chose your apple user name and password, i understand it says you will lose some abilities.
How would you do it at a later date?
My daughter has not properly set up an e mail address ( She is in the process of changing providers) and will want to do it later.
Also can you change your user ID ?

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you skip the screen where it asks to chose your apple user name and password, i understand it says you will lose some abilities.
How would you do it at a later date?
My daughter has not properly set up an e mail address ( She is in the process of changing providers) and will want to do it later.
Also can you change your user ID ?

You can Log-in to your Apple ID by entering your Apple ID and password from Settings > iTunes and App Store.

To change your Apple ID, tap on your account from Settings > iTunes and App Store and select Log out. Perform the above steps to log in into a new ID again.

Note that you cannot be logged in to 2 Apple IDs in the same device simultaneously.

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Great information
I was wondering if its possible to change a user name though having set it up

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Great information
I was wondering if its possible to change a user name though having set it up

Username can be changed, but if you want to keep the email notifications about Apple going to the same e-mail address, its not possible. You can only change your Apple ID username, while also changing the e-mail address linked to your Apple Account.

Here is the website from where you can change your Apple ID : https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/directToSignIn?localang=en_US

Here are the steps. Please note that I have already selected 'manage my account', you need to login on that page with your existing Apple ID : Apple ID: Changing your Apple ID

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. This is what I thought.
I tried to help my daughter set up her iPad.
She entered her email address as her user name and chose a password....
She got a message saying her password was not secure and to choose another...
She chose another.
When she tried to sign in she got a message saying user name or password incorrect??
She is adamant it is the one she chose the second time.
Now when she tries to chose another ID she gets the message, " not possible, try again later"
Now i do not have a clue what ti do to help her.
Is there a phone number or something to a help line?
Is there something else she could do?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the best solution to make sure she has a working Apple ID using the links abababababab provided, and then starting from the beginning again - erasing all content and settings and setting up the device again with the Apple ID she set up.

From the posts I don't know at which point you are, or if there's already an Apple ID installed on the iPad and she just wants to change. So if it's already set up, make sure there's no iCloud account, and if there is, delete it. Then go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings and start all over again.

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I left her and she messaged me a few hours later to tell me that it had suddenly started to accept her details?
Maybe there is a time lag between registering and using I don't know.
Many thanks fir taking the time and interest to help. Much appreciated

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I left her and she messaged me a few hours later to tell me that it had suddenly started to accept her details?
Maybe there is a time lag between registering and using I don't know.
Many thanks fir taking the time and interest to help. Much appreciated

You're welcome! Glad to help. :)

Most reactions