What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music will not play unless connected to wifi

shaka69_420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I have reviewed forums and don't see an answer to this common problem. I have an iPad 2 that works fine but my friends iPad 2 will not play music unless connected to wifi. I have helped download music from her MacBook and checked the box that says "display only downloaded music" but it usually only plays one song. It will then display a message when not connected to wifi. Any help please?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When that happens, it's normally because the music isn't actually downloaded to the iPad.
Have your friend go to Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Manage Storage>Music on her iPad. This will show exactly what music is actually on the iPad.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When that happens, it's normally because the music isn't actually downloaded to the iPad.
Have your friend go to Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Manage Storage>Music. This will show exactly what music is actually on the iPad.

Agree w/ Scifan.. - I also suspect that there is no music stored on your friend's iPad - the first image below shows the location described above - from my iPad Air 2 - have a lot of music!

You can also open the music app, and then check 'My Music' (blue arrow in the second image) - let us know your findings - Dave :)
IMG_6410.PNG
IMG_6411.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Besides choosing My Music (or Playlists) you also need to tap on the menu at the top (Artists, Albums, Songs, etc.) and turn on the Only Downloaded Music switch. This will stop the iPad from showing you tracks that are not on the iPad (when in those tabs).

image.jpeg

OP
S

shaka69_420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!! I have actually helped her download about 15gb music and also checked the box "show only downloaded music" but the iPad still displays all the music available in wifi. So it will never allow her to skip to next song when she is out of wifi. I am wondering about it not actually downloading the music as was mentioned in another forum. I will check to see if the music downloaded or not.

Most reactions

Latest posts