What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music video to Ipod

tphj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I'm not what could be called "computer literate but I can follow detailed instructions.

I have a couple of "home made" music DVDs which I would like to transfer to my iPad3.Is this possible?
If yes,is there some here who can talk me through the procedure.

Thank you in advance

Paul

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are these DVDs of the type that will play in a standard DVD player? Or are they readable only by computer using something like VLC or Windows Media Player to view them?

OP
T

tphj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DVD to iPad

Thank you for your quick reply
The DVD's play on a computer or DVD player

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. So it's safe to assume that they are standard DVDs. I'll run you through my method. There are others. The software I use is called DVDFab8 and is not free. IMO its the best though. Other people may chip in with suggestions for free software which works for them.

DVDFab is almost foolproof and automatic. Load the DVD into your drive, select the main track on the DVD (usually the longest), select your preferred output, hit the button and wait. You will then end up with a file in .mp4 format on your HDD.

Open iTunes, plug in your iPad. Using Windows Explorer, locate your .mp4, and drag it onto your iPad in the left column of iTunes. The video file will then be copied to your iPad and will be found in the videos section.

That's really all there is to it. If it seems too easy, it's because it is easy. Let us know how you get on. If you don't want to pay for software, there is a program called Handbrake which others have used for ripping the DVD. I can't comment as I've never used it.

OP
T

tphj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have hopefully followed your instructions useing DVDFAB8 to the letter.When it comes to dragging the file [ISO] to the iPad,the file has a stop sign [red circle with a diagonal line through it] and will not drop into the iPad.
The DVD is approximatly an hour long and is a pop concert.
I am prepared for you to tell me I am doing something wrong
Paul

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
An ISO will not work. You need to specify iPad as your output device. That will give you a file that iPad can use. An ISO is a disk image that is used by the likes if IMGBURN to create a DVD.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

Most reactions

Latest posts