What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music or video question

Goavs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I have searched the forums but am unable to find anything about this topic, I haven't tried it so I'm not sure if it can be done. Once I put music or videos on my iPad do I have to keep it on my computer or in iTunes? Reason I'm asking is that I'm running out of hard drive space on my computer and can't download anything thing new due not having enough hard drive space. any help wonder be appreciated.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Normally I keep everything in iTunes but you have to setup iTunes to copy your imported file to the iTunes media area. However if you are running out of space, you can always put that media content folder on one external hard drive and in the iTunes preference tell iTunes where is that media folder.

I hope this help...

OP
Goavs18

Goavs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So all the stuff downloaded would go to this media folder? I already have everything in the main iTunes folder. Can I move just my movies to the media folder and keep them on a external drive? I have seem to have 2 iTunes folder one that is iTunes and another one that is a previous iTunes, which looks like the iTunes folder is old stuff and everything is coping to the previous folder.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if you are on a PC or a Mac but on a Mac you can make drag iTunes to an ext HD and associate that new version with the icon on your desktop, at this point you can delete all the content in your iTunes folders on the int HD freeing up all that lovely space. I'm sure that you can do something similar on a PC.

The Archangel

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are on a PC or a Mac but on a Mac you can make drag iTunes to an ext HD and associate that new version with the icon on your desktop, at this point you can delete all the content in your iTunes folders on the int HD freeing up all that lovely space. I'm sure that you can do something similar on a PC.

The Archangel

Same practice for the PC

OP
Goavs18

Goavs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info from both of you,
Ok one more stupid question, once I load music or videos on my iPad, I can remove them from my PC to an external HD? Do I have to stop my iPad from syncing music and videos? I feel like and idiot when it comes to this, I have always had my music and videos on my Int HD

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goavs18 said:
Thanks for the info from both of you,
Ok one more stupid question, once I load music or videos on my iPad, I can remove them from my PC to an external HD? Do I have to stop my iPad from syncing music and videos? I feel like and idiot when it comes to this, I have always had my music and videos on my Int HD

You only have to stop it syncing if you want it to, otherwise it will still work as before, iTunes will know where everything is and it will still work seamlessly as if it is all still on your int HD.......the wonders of modern technology!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts