What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music Missing After Upgrade

Tonii.maii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I just got the new ios5 on my ipad2 and i set it all up so everything was back on my iPad and now my music has disappeared from it. Anyone had this or know why it's happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Tonii.maii

Tonii.maii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it does, I let it do whatever it needed too and everything was on my iPad like normal and then I went to play my music and it wasn't there but it was 10 minutes before because I was looking through it :/

OP
Tonii.maii

Tonii.maii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't tried yet 'cause someone else is on the computer, just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem incase it happened again

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I just got the new ios5 on my ipad2 and i set it all up so everything was back on my iPad and now my music has disappeared from it. Anyone had this or know why it's happened?
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Regarding your question, yes odd things like this happened to some folks after the upgrade, but the good news is it can be resolved. If you're having problems with the Music App, (missing music, album art, playing incorrect songs or not playing songs at all), as Tim suggests, you could try deleting and reinstalling your library or playlists:
  1. Connect your iPad to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes
  3. Control-click or right-click on your iPad (listed in the left-hand column of iTunes) and click on "Backup".
  4. Then under the Music tab uncheck "Sync Music".
  5. Click on the "Apply" or "Sync" button at the bottom of the page.
  6. Disconnect your iPad and quit iTunes.
  7. Open iTunes and reconnect your iPad.
  8. Go back to the Music tab and re-check "Sync Music". (Ensure that your music library, artists, albums or selected playlists that you want on your iPad are checked to sync)
  9. Click on the "Apply" or "Sync" button at the bottom of the page.
Following these directions will delete all of the music files from your iPad (but not your computer of course) and then re-add them. The last step could take a while as it will be adding all of your music (or at least the files you've selected) to your iPad.

See if that doesn't get everything back in place.

It's normal for the Music App to be somewhat slow to respond initially while all of the files are indexed, especially for large libraries and/or multiple Smart Playlists. However if it doesn't speed up over a short period of time, resetting your iPad will usually take care of things.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

FWIW this has also resolved similar issues with podcasts, videos, movies, etc. for others as well.

Welcome again and enjoy!

BTW, I moved your post to the iPF Help area where you're likely to get a better response.

Last edited:
OP
Tonii.maii

Tonii.maii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just letting you all know it's fixed now :D thanks for your help

OP
Tonii.maii

Tonii.maii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My other half sorted it, he said it hadn't synced properly and had been interrupted but it'd never said it was interrupted before :/ i'm pretty useless with all this technical stuff lol

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My other half sorted it, he said it hadn't synced properly and had been interrupted but it'd never said it was interrupted before :/ i'm pretty useless with all this technical stuff lol
Well, it's working and that's what counts.

Thanks for the followup and don't be a stranger!

Most reactions