What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music from Laptop to iPad 2?

Lawmatron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to iPads !

I have a lot of mp3's on my laptop iTunes and was wondering if there was a way to transfer these to iTunes on the iPad?

Thanks in advance!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iTunes on your iPad is your gateway to music purchases. Transfers from iTunes on the PC go to the Music app.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
Lawmatron

Lawmatron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if the MP3's weren't purchased from iTunes store?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. They can be added to your Music app regardless. They just need to be in the right file format to be added to iTunes. For example, .flac files are incompatible.

If it goes onto iTunes on the PC, it can go onto the iPhone. You might want to consider taking the option to transfer them at 128 AAC, as they'll take up less space with minimal degradation in quality.

OP
Lawmatron

Lawmatron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain but how do I go about doing this? Same process as syncing with iPhone?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Easiest way is to plug your iPad into your PC, and drag the music you want onto it. If the whole iPad (on the left side of the screen in iTunes) highlights in blue on your PC screen, the music will automatically go to the right place.

Avoid the autofill button. That will transfer music until there is either none left to transfer or your iPad is full.

You won't need to sync. The files will transfer as yo drag them over.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. Glad we could help. Feel free to give us a shout with anything you need. That's what we are here for.

Susiquatro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried this -- dragging music from a Mac to my iPad2 and it did not work. What am I missing? Thanks!

Most reactions