MultiTasking

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by jskahan, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jskahan

jskahan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How long do you think until multi-tasking becomes available? They would have to add it sooner or later to keep up with Android.
  2. scotty frank

scotty frank iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am willing to speculate that the iPod hackers and "modders" will have a solution to that issue rather quickly.
  3. justdoit

justdoit iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Multitasking is one of the features that has made me to think twice before I could lay my hands on it. I am suspecting iPhone OS 4.0 release has multitasking and with an Upgrade option on OS (may be like $29.99) it will do really good to iPad.
    The other biggest hurdle with iPad is the support for Flash or any alternatives.
    iPad also missing is - SD media card reader - so I can import directly into iPad. Camera - for some people is also important as these people who participate in remote meetings with Cameras/webcam.
  4. DG~X

DG~X iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Maybe until the next version comes out.
  5. LMControl

LMControl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Multitasking is not the point of this device. I laugh at all the folks bemoaning this aspect of the iPad. What great feats of multi-tasking are you wanting to do? This thing is not a computer, it's a media appliance. If multi-tasking is that big of a deal, you need to get a laptop....not an iPad.

However, to say this thing and the iPhones don't multitask is technically not true. The app-makers can make programs do this, many already do, such as ESPN Radio, Emergency scanner, etc... This is a software workaround and not a hardware issue.

For instance, while in the ESPN radio app if you want to continue listening while doing something else you can hit "Background" and it'll set it up to automatically stream in the background. Once there, you can hit the home button and go about your business while listening to ESPN.

Of course, you can also listen to your music in the iPod application while doing other things as well. So saying it's not capable of multi-tasking is not entirely correct.

As well, I'd bet my bottom dollar that the same people who gripe about the lack of multi-tasking are the same ones who'd be griping when the battery life was down to 3 hours. You can't win with some people.
  6. roracle

roracle iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Perhaps we should be more focused on finding ways to switch applications without having to hit the "home" button all the time? That makes the most sense.
  7. Lady Grinning Soul

Lady Grinning Soul iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, agree with your entire post.
    I suspect certain apps will eventually be allowed to run continuously, at Apple's discretion, but not anything and everything.

Apple wants a totally stable and fast environment for joe public, for whom their product is aimed at... the keys are simplicity, usability and reliability, all of which a huge chunk of the public have never seen with previous computers, and which has put many off.

'We' may crave technical extras but, by and large, most of the market just doesn't care about them... if they are even aware of them!
  8. tsowaiman

tsowaiman iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think multi-tasking will be available when mac osx port to iPad.
  9. justdoit

justdoit iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @LMControl - An OS without Multitasking got to be crazy enough and claim to be world leader. It is OK for OS to be Unitasking on devices such as iPhone/iPod Touch, but now we are moving to a larger appliance which is planned to be used for multiple reasons.

This is not about griping - it is a need for many. There are few functionalities of dual tasking (definitely not multitask) as you mention. I can list a number of activities that need to use for multiple tasks to be done. Mind you that one does not spend $500 - $900 bucks to listen to music, view videos and photos alone. When a consumer spends so much - their expectations and needs are more. Without multitasking is as slow as old Stoneage.

Irrespective of these limitations - I am buying one and I am aware Apple is going to bring in Multitasking features.
    On the humor side - watch and enjoy Hitler and PeeWee taking a crack at iPad.
  10. Warzabidul

Warzabidul iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Multitasking is great for certain devices and for certain purposes. Look at the Iphone 3gs and GPS navigation. If you have a phone like the Iphone how often could you use it for navigation. Without multitasking that functionality is of no value.

On other devices, with multitasking, the GPS is a far more interesting option.

The ipad is too big to be used as a gps but the discussion is about what apps you would want to have multitasking for. The next question is whether that multitasking would make the platform less stable.

Look at the N97 and how much potential the device has, but how easily you crash it.
  11. iII

iII iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  12. pastorjeff

pastorjeff iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Laugh into the mirror, in a friendly way!

"Multitasking is not the point of this device. I laugh at all the folks bemoaning this aspect of the iPad. What great feats of multi-tasking are you wanting to do? This thing is not a c omputer, it's a media appliance. If multi-tasking is that big of a deal, you need to get a laptop....not an iPad." posted byL M CONTROL

Hey brother laugh all you want, you're entitled. Now here's the truth. Apple made the big deal about iWorks being available on this device. Theses are for real, serious, business quality apps, not media playthings. They are created to allow users to use the device for 'content creation'. Drag and drop between all three of the apps, especially keynote (note VGA adaptor for projectors-business, business and more business), which I use for slide shows for worship and pages, with which I create newsletters is a necessity to take the $9.99 apps seriously. Jobs screwed up and he should have his team fix this before the release or drop the serious business apps and just admit that he has created another expensive, albeit cool toy for the computer inept.
    And yes friends, as disappointed as I am that this isn't going to be the lightweight megabeast I hoped for, I will still get one eventually because I like cool toys and have high hopes that third party developers will teach Apple where they went wrong and fix it.
    I'd laugh with you, but Apple isn't tickling my funny bone right now. Let's hope by the end of March we hear of updated capabilities to excite sales and make people feel like they are really getting something that does things better than the iphone and better than a laptop. Jobs reputation may depend on it.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  13. necrecious

necrecious iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How Apple might do multitasking

I think Apple will allow multitasking on the iPad. The question is how clever their implementation will be. Cut-and-paste took them like 2 years to figure out the right UI for, and it turned out to be more useful than WebOS and Android's implementation.

I wrote a blog post speculation how they might do it.
  14. Steppenroth

Steppenroth iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Multitasking is important for those of us that want to use it for school. It is great that there is a good chance we will be able to purchase text books for it, but I would like to be able to use the text book, switch to a scientific calculator, solve the equation and then switch back to the text book without missing a beat. I would like to be able to switch to Safari and do a google search for an unfamiliar concept and then switch back to the calculator or text book. This would be a great device for school, but the lack of multitasking is limitting it.
  15. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Love it or hate it , tif you hate it just leave the place where is it

Why not consider Android and enjoy their crapy system ??

Or maybe develop the device you are dreaming about ??

Nobody force you to buy an IPAD you have to accept the device as is it , not as you dream ... if you have a dream work for make it true ... and stop criticize the one don't made what you are dreaming about ...
  16. rominekarte

rominekarte iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi..
    About Ipad i have just seen all the features but didn't get the chance to use so i am looking for it.
  17. Steppenroth

Steppenroth iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's exactly it though. We know it will be a good device. With the right applications being developed, it could even be a great device. But if we don't provide constructive criticism and voice our opinions, our opinions will never be heard.

I'm not saying that we should only point out the negative points and do nothing but bash it, but I think we do need to organize collectively as early adopters and make sure that Apple knows how we feel and what they can do to make it better.

We owe nothing to Apple for buying their hardware and software. They owe us as consumers and customers to meet us in the halfway and continually evolve the devices they have available to suit our needs better. Maybe not everyone will need multitasking or flash...but wouldn't it be nice to have it as an option? If our voices can motivate Apple to make changes, is it not our responsibility to voice them?
  18. AbblePC

AbblePC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've been using my iPhones for everything from;
    generating PDF documents
    creating art
    playing games
    creating invoices
    tracking packages
    taking photos while on a call
    remote support service with RDP and VNC,
    copying pasting from/to and within apps
    editing photos
    printing documents
    pinging clients with running services on a network
    streaming videos
    listening to music while running other apps
    transferring moneys between bank accounts on a call
    driving with GPS directions while in a call
    surfing web for info while on calls
    manipulating data and adding new info to contacts or other docs across apps
    and the list goes on.

Oh and I use a bluetooth headset which frees use of the phone even more. I can hear while still using other apps and not worrying about speaker phone and some one else eavesdropping my call.

This is not Multitasking in what way? Most Windows users I see with their desk and laptops in our shop rarely even multitask, most aren't even fluent when even attempting to multitask.. they are typically one window at a time and often do not even know how to properly copy and paste or even minimize or maximize windows. They are typically working in one window at a time fullscreen too.

Its only the users that are avid multitask users, that I would fathom grasping the concept on an iPhone let alone an iPad. They are very happy with one app at a time. I'm not sure if its habit or if it is some failure to conform to the new concepts on most OS since the late 80's, Multitasking.

Some complain they cant slip from within one app move to another and pop back into the one prior.... Im sorry thats exactly what the iPhone 3Gs with its enhanced speed seems to offer. Perhaps they just are not thinking in multi content themes, and are merely wishing small little windows all about their home screen with opened apps and complain about slowness and memory leaks etc. When the only attribute with this concept is multiple opened windows. But for what reason when apps open quickly enough to pop between them as you need them.
    Also there is PUSH notifications from apps when the app is not even running, which is all the more better than running the app as a service reducing system resources and overall speed.

Now when it comes to working on a desktop or laptop I am always running multiple apps. but if they opened quickly enough and there was hardly any wait time or auto saving features within each program. I would rather they act as the iPhone and only run what is needed at that given moment. Sounds ludicrous I know, but multitasking is over rated the way people are expecting it to occur on a device like an iPhone or iPad.
  19. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Abble, seem's we use the 3Gs as the same way, and it look like both of us ( and many other i am sure) enjoy to have this device and how he work, concerning me i am always in moving in various place from the moment i change my E71 for a 3G i have stop to carry for a short trip my MBP , the Iphone have even more than my notebook i just carry 2 external battery , witch most of time i just need one and everything are perfect for me ...

Many people ask multitasking as it's the only dark point for the Iphone, but if you ask them in witch condition they need a real multitasking no one will have a sufficient reason for need it ....

@ I totally agree with you about the constructive criticism but how many people you see have this kind of criticism just a small quantity can realize they have an excellent device with some weak point will be adjust in time as Apple always do ...

Discussing about really important feature we need i will enjoy to participate, but empty talking about flash , just make me laugh as me or my wife, she use it from the version 1.1 and me only from the 2.0 version use Iphone december 2008 we never miss the flash implementation so for witch reason it will be more necessary for the IPAD

The really necessary function in the ipad we will need is the webcam, a USB port and Reader card (seem's some device will be available soon) yet other than this i cannot see something really important .... for most of our usage
  20. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    @AbblePC and IpadOne, is there any other way for a power-user to get very penny of iPhone/iPod-Touch's price tag? While my use isn't quite at that level it is getting there with the iPod Touch.

Where the iPhoneOS needs improvement is in the use of App freeze states and the ability for Apps to pass more then just text and image data back and forth... or be able to retrieve data out of a frozen app state.