What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple Wi-Fi Devices in a Hotel w/ a PAID plan!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On a current trip to Virginia carrying a laptop (Dell VISTA), an iPod Touch, an iPad2, and a Nook Color all w/ potential Wi-Fi connections - first stay at the Homestead in Hot Springs (free Wi-Fi, so not a problem, i.e. could connect all devices, if desired, at no charge).

BUT, now at the Roanoke Hotel which is charging me $9.95 for a 24-hr Wi-Fi connection for my laptop - cannot connect any other of our devices w/o additional charges to each one; obviously will NOT do - so what are the choices of getting around this issue?

Now for a number of years I used an older Asus adapter in the days that only wired connections were offered in many hotels - this allowed me to used this device as a 'wireless' access point instead of being wired (pic below - Asus has released new models).

I've not checked if this older model would allow me to connect either wired or 'wireless' and then set up a 'router-type' situation where the hotel charging me one fee for a connection would allow me (w/o them knowing of course) to use my other devices.

I know a lot of newer alternatives to this situation have been released, but I was hoping that those in the forum that have faced this same situation have chosen some of the better options now currently available. I guess that basically I'd like a SMALL portable device that will pick up a hotel's wired or wireless connection, then behave like a router and send out a wireless option to all of my Wi-Fi devices w/o me paying any additional fees?

Thanks for any comments, advice, & recommendations - :)

asus-wl330-1.jpg

southpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently purchased a ZuniConnect Travel IV from Amazon. It was about $80. So far, I have only used it in wired in/ wireless mode, but it *does* say it does wireless in/wireless out as well.

In addition, it can charge devices via USB cable, including the iPad. It has two charge ports - a quick charge (turbo) port which is for devices like the iPad that needs more amps, and a standard charge port for most other devices.

Betty

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Betty - thanks for your quick response; just finished reading about that recommendation on Amazon - may be just what I need!

Hopefully others will respond w/ not only their opinions of the ZuniConnect product but possibly others - :)

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FYI, the ZuniConnect IV is on sale at deals.woot.com today for $41.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
RE: Legitimacy of Woot - Amazon acquired them back in June 2010. So, although they had (have?) a very legitimate presence before ... I should think it's probably doubled now. Or not - depending on how much you like(d) Amazon. :D

[Full disclosure] I've never used Woot ... but I've been very tempted with some of their deals! :)

Marilyn

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've Wooted many times, always been happy. Not the quickest shippers, about my only complaint.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK - I went ahead and put in an order for the ZuniConnect - hard to beat that price (esp. if it works as advertised!) - :)

javiercapty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an airport from apple... It works very well... Very easy to setup, works well on any envirinment, and the ability to play music wirelessly is very cool... It costed me 85 usd...

Most reactions

Latest posts