What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple apps under one icon?

Greygoose_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've downloaded some games off the iPad store and noticed that it sets up an icon for each game. I would like to create an icon that named "games" and put all the games under that icon. Is that even possible on an iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tap and hold any icon until they all start to jiggle. Drag of your game icons on top of another, and they will form a folder named Games (probably, but you can rename it if not). Continue to drag the icons you want into the folder that was created. When done press the home key to leave edit mode. Be careful not to tap the x's at the top left of the icons, or you will delete the apps. Don't worry, it's not easy to do by accident.

You must be running iOS 4.0 or later to create folders.

OP
G

Greygoose_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. Enjoy.

twerppoet,

what happens if you were to try and group "unrelated" icons together? for instance if i drug the app store icon on top of a game icon. In my initial case, its smart enough to figure out it games, but what about unrelated icons (i.e one named "miscallaneous)?

thanx again

Greygoose

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can open the folder, tap in the white bar containing the folder name and change it to anything you want.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet,

what happens if you were to try and group "unrelated" icons together? for instance if i drug the app store icon on top of a game icon. In my initial case, its smart enough to figure out it games, but what about unrelated icons (i.e one named "miscallaneous)?

I have no idea what it would name the folder, but it doesn't really matter. As Gabriel pointed out you can change the name to anything you want.

If for some reason you didn't rename it when you created the folder then you can rename it later. Just tap on the folder to open it, then tap and hold on any icon until they jiggle. At that point the folder's name will become editable. Change it to what you want then tap the Home button to end the editing session. This is also your chance to change how the icons are arranged in the folder if you want.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I have no idea what it would name the folder, but it doesn't really matter. As Gabriel pointed out you can change the name to anything you want.

If for some reason you didn't rename it when you created the folder then you can rename it later. Just tap on the folder to open it, then tap and hold on any icon until they jiggle. At that point the folder's name will become editable. Change it to what you want then tap the Home button to end the editing session. This is also your chance to change how the icons are arranged in the folder if you want.

That's a good point about jiggling, I forgot that you had to do that part to edit the name, it's been so long since I edited a folder name!

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's a good point about jiggling, I forgot that you had to do that part to edit the name, it's been so long since I edited a folder name!

Just did it minutes before replying to the post. The screen I reserve for productivity apps was getting crowded, so I put all the iWorks and related apps in a new folder. Got a whole row back.

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can also add a smiley before the name , for instance ,I add a Sun in front of my Weather folder ..

Most reactions