What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-peer Connectivity Framework in iOS 7!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read this on twitter with the primary source from Cult of Mac. Apple built "Multi peer Connectivity Framework." This allows users to text through a network of other users without the use of internet. It speaks about Apple building in the "first major mainstream implementation of wireless mesh networking" according to Cult of Mac. The Firechat is an app that was mentioned to begin using this multi-peer Connectivity framework.

Have a look at these links: Cult of Mac: http://www.cultofmac.com/271225/app...twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

iOS developer library: https://developer.apple.com/library...ivityFramework/Introduction/Introduction.html

Firechat: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fire chat/id719829352?mt=8

image-1672151853.jpg

This seems to be something that will become quite popular and mainstream in the future. Especially in those places that do not have a very good wifi connection. Concerts, sport events, camping, etc. I am looking forward to using this in these situations.

Skimonkey ~ ipadforum Moderator | iPhoneforum Moderator Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting app with the use of Multi-peer Connectivity. I just downloaded it and see that many are on chatting with each other without the use of internet. People from California, Florida and everywhere in between.

While I won't use this as my main source for texting family members, it is a nice app to have in emergencies. There is no sign in. You can view chats global or locally, but there is no option to make chats private for a group. Maybe in time as this app is readily used, the developers will make this a feature. :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The app sounds interesting.

I didn't download it, though, because it still needs a little bit of improvement, as it seems. Also I found some users writing about "trolls" in their reviews. But I'll keep it in mind, if I need it sometime.

Too bad there's no WishList for free apps!

Last edited:
OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It definitely needs more work. I also noticed that some of the chats are a bit nonsense and dirty. Hopefully they can build on app. It's a good start, but needs a few filters!

OP
skimonkey

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised when other app developers get on and develop their own versions to take advantage of this mesh networking. It's bound to happen soon enough.

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My thoughts as well when I read your link.

This is the first app that uses the feature, but I suppose others will follow, maybe with the option to use them on other operating systems as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts