What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MS word form on ipad

UNCMo96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any app that will open word docs that have form fields and checkboxes? Docs to go does not.

iDevice.mobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UNCMo96 said:
Is there any app that will open word docs that have form fields and checkboxes? Docs to go does not.

Get Pages, it opens all kind of MS Word file.There might little change in formatting. If you don't want to edit just view than GoodReader is the good option.

QuickOffice is an office suit for iPad, you can try that too,but I like Pages the best.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If Pages does not work (no idea if it will), you might be able to export your word document as a PDF form that preserves the text and checkbox fields (not sure what software you'd need for that). If you can then PDF Expert is supposed to be able to import and fill out those forms. I don't know of any other program that will.

OP
U

UNCMo96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I will try converting to a PDF. I am a physician and my daily note is a word template. I was hoping to do my notes on the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good luck with the PDF. I think it's your best solution, if you can make it work. Please let us know how it turns out.

If you are willing to spend the time learning Pages, you can create some pretty good document templates that way too. It has several page layout style features that would allow you to create text boxes, labels, and other form like features. And the orginal can be tucked away using iTunes (or DropBox) so that you can reload and use it just like a template.

Pages is better at exporting to Word than importing.

Come to think of it, if you have a blank, non-sensitve, copy you could upload it here. I'd be happy to import it to Pages and see how much gets scrambled.

Last edited:

Gary W. Graley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages is a pretty good app, but when I downloaded an MS word doc with a form in it, it kept the tables but I lost the fields, both text or check boxes were not brought into the
file, as I was hoping to use this in the field as I go about and audit our equipment.
G2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages is a pretty good app, but when I downloaded an MS word doc with a form in it, it kept the tables but I lost the fields, both text or check boxes were not brought into the
file, as I was hoping to use this in the field as I go about and audit our equipment.
G2

That's about what I expected, but wasn't going to rule out. Pages does not have checkboxes or text fields, so I didn't see how it could import them.

You can create a text field of sorts using the shapes, since shapes can contain text. The check box would be tricky.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As sometimes happens, I got curious enough to do some playing around. Here is the result of me trying to make a quick and dirty form. It exports to .doc ok (tested in OpenOffice and LibreOffice only), though it certainly looks nicer in Pages, or exported as a PDF.

If all you need is some text fields, a few labels, and a table that you can enter checkmarks into, it's doable.

Attachments

• Test Form 2.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 960

Most reactions

Latest posts