What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MP3 file transfer from Hard Drive to my iPad

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have several mp3 files on my hard drive and want to transfer and play them on my device. I have never transferred mp3 files before. Would very much appreciate some detailed direction. Thanks in advance for any help
Jerry

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As sjleworthy said... iTunes - "Add folder to library", or "Add files to library". The press sync.

If you don't want to use iTunes you MUST jailbreak. Visit the hacking section. Then look into iFile on Cydia.

Those are the two options I can suggest.

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was not being a "smart axx." It just seemed a little shallow to respond with "Itunes" for someone looking for details who has never transferred music to the device before. After all, the post did say "Would very much appreciate some detailed direction."
Jerry

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Find the mp3 files you want to move to your device on your computer. Drag the files to the lefthand sidebar that says "Library" in iTunes. The files have been moved to the "Music" portion of your Library. Plug in your device. Click on the name of the device in iTunes. Click on the music tab. Make sure the files you want moved are checked and then synch the device. Music will move over to the device and will be found inside the iPod app.

Also, if you want to place the music in playlists you can create a new playlist by clicking on the "+" button at the bottom of the lefthand sidebar. Drag the mp3 files into the playlist name and then synch. Now your playlist is moved to the device. Also, found in the iPod app.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always understood it that the files needed to be converted to AAC to work on the iPad. Whether or not this is true, it is easy to do the conversion on iTunes.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I was not being a "smart axx." It just seemed a little shallow to respond with "Itunes" for someone looking for details who has never transferred music to the device before. After all, the post did say "Would very much appreciate some detailed direction."
Jerry

Sorry, didn't interpret the question as being you've never used iTunes before and didn't have the first idea

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I have always understood it that the files needed to be converted to AAC to work on the iPad. Whether or not this is true, it is easy to do the conversion on iTunes.

It's a personal preference rather than a requirement. My entire library is MP3 with only a few iTunes purchased exceptions.
Unless storage space is an absolute premium on your iPad and you want to store lots of music on there, there is little reason to go through the conversion process to AAC.

Hope that helps clarify.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Seadog said:

It's a personal preference rather than a requirement. My entire library is MP3 with only a few iTunes purchased exceptions.
Unless storage space is an absolute premium on your iPad and you want to store lots of music on there, there is little reason to go through the conversion process to AAC.

Hope that helps clarify.

Agreed. I ripped my cd collection a few years back all in mp3 format and that's what I use.

Rgrsmbl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jerry...when you first setup iPad and sync with iTunes, iTunes will search for your mp3 music files and install them In iTunes. Files are then synced to your iPad and accessed thru the iPod icon. Hope this helps.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another way to transfer mp3 tracks - it's the way I use - is by GoodReader. You can transfer them directly via USB or WiFi. If they're in a folder on your PC, GoodReader can transfer them all at once.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts