Moving to The Dark Side.... thinking of getting an IPAD, but have reservations.

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by DannyDroid, Apr 22, 2012.

1. DannyDroid

DannyDroid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I recently smashed my Android tablet (the original Asus Transformer) and am in the market for a new slate.

In general, I live in the Google/Android ecosystem. I have a Samsung S2, all my email and organisational aids are Google apps, so Android plays nice straight out of the box. I am, however, sorely tempted by the display of the new Ipad (as opposed to going for the Transformer Prime). I do have some worries, which perhaps someone here can help me address.
    • Most of my video media is either XVID AVIs or MKV. I know there are IPAD apps that will play these, but do the render then natively in their full glory, or will they get re-encoded in the background, leading to weird sync issues etc....
    • Most of this media is kept on a NAS drive which acts a DLNA server. Will I be able to access this and stream my MKVS, and AVIs ?
    I can probably live with the other limitations (No flash, no sd card slot, no screen widgets etc), but not being able to catch up on The Daily Show episodes on my tablet is a deal breaker ! Also, is the WIFI reception good ? The Prime has an iffy WIFI rep, so hearing that the IPAD's WIFI is good would help swing it.

Im not looking to start a fanboy war here.... I just figure this is the best place to here the arguments "for".

Thanks !

2. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the bright side........ Never dark here so relax. Just ask questions and hopefully between our team and some thousands of members we can make your experiance a positive one......

3. DannyDroid

DannyDroid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Col. Feeling at home already...

4. Tonyj

Tonyj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Swapped my Samsung tab for an iPad 2 because of screen problems in the tab. Best decision I made. Still love my Android phone but for a tablet would not switch from iPad now, go ahead and buy with confidence,

5. DannyDroid

DannyDroid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your feedback Tony, but do you play AVIs and MKVs ? Any joy streaming from a media server?

6. Rends

Rends
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have a NAS and setup a folder as DLNA server. No problems with videos or music but my videos are already AppleTV2 ready in either .mov or .m4v format so i can't say anything about the formats you want to use. There are some DLNA player apps out there you might try out. I'm currently testing 8player lite wich seems to work fine so far ( except for playing the first 5 files only in the free version). It doesn't show you all the file information like you would see in the movies app, well in fact it shows the file name only.

7. DannyDroid

DannyDroid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Rends. It looks like that app also supports mkv and avi, so that could work.

8. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would caution you when comparing iOS with Android OS. If you are used to looking at what is going on in the file system to try to figure out how to fix something or how to make something work, the iPad will be frustrating. I have observed my Android equipped friends always tweaking their tablets to get better performance on any given tasks. On the iPad side, if some thing malfunctions, you close down all apps in the task bar and you do either a reset of the software or a power down.

My iPad (3rd generation) retina screen is the envy of those same Android friends. They often say, "too bad Apple doesn't allow an iPad to be able to install Android."

9. DannyDroid

DannyDroid
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi Matt
    This is my concern. I had an Iphone 3G a few years ago, and when I moved across to android (HTC Desire, then Samsung S2) it was like a breath of fresh air. I like to have quite alot of control over how my device looks and feels. Having said that, I think that "tablets" are a bit different to phones as they are primarily "consumption" devices. My feeling is that the IPAD display is 2nd to none (right now) and that this should be my main criteria PROVIDED I can consume my media the way I want to. If I can easily stream from DLNA and play my AVI and MKVs, Im probably good to go. I might order one on the 14 day cooling off scheme and see how I get on.

10. SquiderDragon

SquiderDragon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I cannot really comment on streaming to iPad but its an interesting idea. I convert mkv format with handbrake of direct consumption and it is an amazing experience! However as I tend to consume content when away and would stream from home to my Samsung TV via Xbox 360 and laptop / external drive servers I don't normally consider this option. I do consume at home on iPad for some new shows e.g. Game of Thrones but again via conversion.

I know you won't be disappointed with quality of display and ease of use - but will keep a watch on thread re any useful tips on streaming content which I may like to try.

Good luck!

SquiderDragon