What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving to Italy

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving from the states to Vicenza, Italy in about 2 months. Does anyone know of the best iPhone and iPad carrrier in that area of Europe? I'm hoping that I can maintain the functionality of my American bought devices during and after the move. Thanks.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do they still make you wear your street cloths when off base in the area .back in the 1977 i did a short tour there and wonder if they still made you wear your street cloths off base no uniforms because of the local groups where up in arms over something and they had daily protest there at the front gate areas..

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am living in London, but I goes to Italy a lot. I love there.
I bought an iPad. Because you can change the Micro SIM and you can use internet.
Using iPhone data roaming is too expensive.
There are 2 carriers do these for iPad.
One is "Vodafone" and other is "3"
I went Vodafone shop in Roma and bought Vodafone SIM.
You need your passport to show them.
You have to buy total €30 top up to start with. but you can use for €2/day.
To start with, I did not know how to do.
I am using O2 in UK and very easy. You can pay when you want from own iPad in UK.
You get payment screen in setting/Data carrier panel to choose when you want to pay. I do when I need to use just pay £2/day in UK.
I thought same as that and easy ....but was not.
Vodafone Italy has good web site for iPad, but all Italian. You can nor register to top up for iPad, because iPad does not have SMS message to receive to register.
I discovered there is APP application for Vodafone Italy in UK iTune store.
You can see how much you spend etc...but I think you still have to go to shop to top up.
Also you have to manually input APN in setting which written in the web site.
Otherwise not able to surf in internet.
How is "3" Tre for iPad? Is it better than Vodafone? I was thinking try for "3" as well.
But I think "3" is monthly renewed, so if you gave credit card number they take every month rolling contract same as UK until you cancel it?
Also "3" I do not know how to setup. ( I know Vodafone now)
Be honest O2 in UK for iPad is best, I did not do anything.
If anyone know, please tell me.
Thanks.

trendystyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am living in London, but I goes to Italy a lot. I love there.
I bought an iPad. Because you can change the Micro SIM and you can use internet.
Using iPhone data roaming is too expensive.
There are 2 carriers do these for iPad.
One is "Vodafone" and other is "3"
I went Vodafone shop in Roma and bought Vodafone SIM.
You need your passport to show them.
You have to buy total €30 top up to start with. but you can use for €2/day.
To start with, I did not know how to do.
I am using O2 in UK and very easy. You can pay when you want from own iPad in UK.
You get payment screen in setting/Data carrier panel to choose when you want to pay. I do when I need to use just pay £2/day in UK.
I thought same as that and easy ....but was not.
Vodafone Italy has good web site for iPad, but all Italian. You can nor register to top up for iPad, because iPad does not have SMS message to receive to register.
I discovered there is APP application for Vodafone Italy in UK iTune store.
You can see how much you spend etc...but I think you still have to go to shop to top up.
Also you have to manually input APN in setting which written in the web site.
Otherwise not able to surf in internet.
How is "3" Tre for iPad? Is it better than Vodafone? I was thinking try for "3" as well.
But I think "3" is monthly renewed, so if you gave credit card number they take every month rolling contract same as UK until you cancel it?
Also "3" I do not know how to setup. ( I know Vodafone now)
Be honest O2 in UK for iPad is best, I did not do anything.
If anyone know, please tell me.
Thanks.

3 is much cheaper, 5 euro for 3gb a month, you can buy a rechargeble sim, you just load the money you need, for instance, if you think of staying 3 months, recharge 15 euro...

godcape

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it easy to top up?
How to top up for "3"?
Can I pay through iPad?
O2 in UK, I can pay from iPad by card each time when I want to use such as £2/day. Is "3" same way to top up or do I have to to the shop?
Or can I pay from their web site?

Thanks.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Vodafone is the only carrier for iPhone/iPad stuff, not 100% sure though.

Vicenza isn't Aviano. Vicenza is a little further south.

Nice area, you'll enjoy Italy, as long as you get out and travel, it's a nice central location easy to get just about anywhere. I spent 2 years at Aviano from 04-06, I really liked it there. Went down to Vicenza a couple times.

Most reactions