What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving PDFs from iPad to iPad2

dre4u2nv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I have loaded up my iPad 1 with PDFs in which I have opened through email on my iPad. I now have an iPad 2 and would like an easy migration of those PDFs to the new iPad from the old. Obviously, nothing in my line of work (COMPUTER TECH) is seamless, nor easy. Aside from digging up those old, archived emails I have hit brick walls to which seems like a trivial task. Any help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What app did you use to store the PDFs?

If you've used iBooks, then connect to iTunes on the computer, right click on the iPad under the Devices list and choose Transfer Purchases. It may work, though it has been notoriously bad about transferring back files added through email. The good news is that I've had better luck with PDFs than ePubs when doing this.

When adding third party books and PDFs to iBooks, you are better off adding them to iTunes first, and then syncing back to the iPad. This also gives you the opportunity to save them off in a folder somewhere, just in case.

Once they are in iTunes you can just drag them to the desktop for other copies, or sync them to the other iPad.

OP
D

dre4u2nv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
What app did you use to store the PDFs?

If you've used iBooks, then connect to iTunes on the computer, right click on the iPad under the Devices list and choose Transfer Purchases. It may work, though it has been notoriously bad about transferring back files added through email. The good news is that I've had better luck with PDFs than ePubs when doing this.

When adding third party books and PDFs to iBooks, you are better off adding them to iTunes first, and then syncing back to the iPad. This also gives you the opportunity to save them off in a folder somewhere, just in case.

Once they are in iTunes you can just drag them to the desktop for other copies, or sync them to the other iPad.

Hey twerp poet, nice seeing you again... :) well I did that and it failed, notoriously. What now? Do I have to get those emails and do it the way you described up top??? It seems that's gonna be the route I will have to take now.

Twilight never rises or sets, it just happens.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
dre4u2nv said:
Hey twerp poet, nice seeing you again... :) well I did that and it failed, notoriously. What now? Do I have to get those emails and do it the way you described up top??? It seems that's gonna be the route I will have to take now.

Yes, I'm afraid you'll need the emails. There is no way (that I know of) to export books back out of iBooks except iTunes. Sorry.

OP
D

dre4u2nv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No worries .. Live and learn scenario is all. Thanks again for your help.

nats007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have an issue with a film download, from I tunes to my I pad it worked it was great, then after sync with my pc, the film won't go on I pad again, after looking it looks like the film has a higher bit rate than the I pad can't cope with, how do I convert it so I can put it on I pad, button on I tunes does not work! Driving me mental it's an IPad 1 help!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I have loaded up my iPad 1 with PDFs in which I have opened through email on my iPad. I now have an iPad 2 and would like an easy migration of those PDFs to the new iPad from the old. Obviously, nothing in my line of work (COMPUTER TECH) is seamless, nor easy. Aside from digging up those old, archived emails I have hit brick walls to which seems like a trivial task. Any help?

Couldn't you just e-mail the PDFs out of the iBooks app? When you have the PDF open, there is an option to e-mail (upper left side, the arrow thingy).

Yeah, you'll still have to deal with e-mails,and it'll be a pain in the .... but if you e-mail to an account that you've already established on the iPad2, you can then open the attached PDF right on the iPad2 with iBooks. May be easier/better than trying to find all the old e-mails...

Marilyn

OP
D

dre4u2nv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great idea!!! Me being so close to the project I didn't even think of that... Thanks for the fresh prospective. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Couldn't you just e-mail the PDFs out of the iBooks app? When you have the PDF open, there is an option to e-mail (upper left side, the arrow thingy).

Yeah, you'll still have to deal with e-mails,and it'll be a pain in the .... but if you e-mail to an account that you've already established on the iPad2, you can then open the attached PDF right on the iPad2 with iBooks. May be easier/better than trying to find all the old e-mails...

Marilyn

You know, I was so fixated on the fact that you can't email ePubs from iBooks, it never occurred to me to see if it would let you email PDFs. No reason it shouldn't. :eek:

Thanks for catching that Marilyn! I always like it when I can end the day a little smarter. :D

Most reactions