What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moving ipad to new user

mygsds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have replaced my ipad2 with a new Air2 and want to give my husband my old ipad. If I delete all the content in Settings, can he reinstall by setting up an itunes account and synching with it?
Will doing this get rid of my account on the ipad so he can create a new one?

Pat

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have replaced my ipad2 with a new Air2 and want to give my husband my old ipad. If I delete all the content in Settings, can he reinstall by setting up an itunes account and synching with it?
Will doing this get rid of my account on the ipad so he can create a new one?

Pat
After you select erase all content and settings in Settings>General>Reset, making sure to turn off Find My iPad first, the iPad 2 will be just as it was when it came out of the box when new. Your Husband can then set it up as a new iPad with his own Apple ID.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After you select erase all content and settings in Settings>General>Reset, making sure to turn off Find My iPad first, the iPad 2 will be just as it was when it came out of the box when new. Your Husband can then set it up as a new iPad with his own Apple ID.

Just want to reinforce the advice in bold above, i.e. you need to turn off 'Find My iDevice' (on the device and best to check in iCloud to make sure) - the reason is that a new owner will not be able to setup the iPad, as already stated.

I also recently replaced my iPad 2 w/ an Air 2 and sold the old iPad on Glyde to someone up in New England, who would not know my name - the buyer accepted the exchange and I have credit on the site, so I'm assuming that he or she was able set up the device. Dave :)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Direct from Apple.......

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

1. Back up your device.
  2. Sign out of iCloud:
  3. Tap Settings > iCloud, scroll down, and tap Sign Out. In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Delete Account.
  4. Tap Sign Out again, tap Delete from My iPhone, then enter your password.
    1. Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
    2. This will completely erase your device, including any credit or debit cards you added for Apple Pay and any photos, contacts, music, or apps. It will also turn off iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, Game Center, and other services.
  • If you're using iOS 7 or later and have Find My iPhone turned on, your Apple ID and password will be required. After you provide your password, the device will be erased and removed from your account so that the next owner can activate it.
  • Your content won't be deleted from iCloud when you erase your device.
  1. Contact your carrier for guidance on transferring service to the new owner. If you aren't using a SIM-card with your device, you can contact them to get help transferring service to the new owner.
  2. When the new owner turns on the device for the first time, Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

Most reactions